This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

substrate ?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by dschmeh, May 13, 2006.

1. dschmeh

dschmeh Prolific Poster

Eco complete vs ADA (Aqua Soil- Amazonia)
    I see a lot of posts asking questions abut the above . Anyone have a opinion on flourite thats what im using and seem to be doing ok.
    Dave

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: substrate ?

Given what you now have, I'd just leave things the way they are.

If you want a darkwer substrate for asethetic reasons, then the ADA As is a goiod choice. EC is not any different than Fluorite, ADA As is quite differetn than these two(ADA have soft texture, more uniform grain size, macro nutrients like N and P).

And it's as cheap if not cheaper.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. dschmeh

dschmeh Prolific Poster

Re: substrate ?

thanks tom flourite is working well an i like the color i just didnt see many posts on flourite.

also thanks for your help tanks are doing great since switching to gregwatson ferts using EI

Dave

4. mtynan

mtynan Junior Poster

Hi I am new to the sight and looking for some objective advice. I had to take my tank as I am moving to San Francisco and will start it up in a few weeks. My tank is a 16 gallow bow front and will be low tech, but heavily planted. There is a store near me that sells all ada products. So I was very interested in trying ada amazonia. In the past I have use seachem flourtie and overall really no complaints. I have read so many good things about amazonia thought I would try it since it is local. However, I have read a bunch of horror stories about it clouding up the water really badly for weeks/months and then once settled if you rearrange plants again the same issue. I understand it realeases ammonia so I am prepared to deal with that. So I trying to get a better understanding of how bad this clouding issue is when the substrate is disturbed. Especially since i have a habit of rearrange plants often.

5. Migi

Migi Junior Poster

The new ADA Aquasoil doesn't really cloud that much. If it does, it should clear up with a water change or you could just use Purigen in your filter.