Substrate Vitalization System from AquariumPlants.com

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
You know I haven't, and it's mostly because they don't list an analysis. It bothers me when that's missing; I'm thinking it's not exactly legal either.

If the listing is by greatest to least concentration of a compound, then I'd say things don't look too bad. Not sure about the molar mass of ammonium phosphate though; having that higher than the MgSO4.7H2O seems a bit weird.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I'm a little leery about those tablets too. Why have so many different ones?

I bought some Osmocote Plus to try. It has NPK plus Mg and traces. I tried the regular Osmocote with only NPK and I had algae problems. Maybe the Plus may work.

OsmocotePlusMultiPurposePlantFood15.jpg

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
I've always taken aquariumplants.com fertilizer related stuff as relative snake oil. Turface/SMS rebranded without any alteration, substrate tabs without analysis, heavy sales pitches, and a chip on their shoulder about EI sets off alarms for me. Don't get me wrong, they grow/sell some nice plants; I've ordered from them.

The osmocote pro looks like it has a pretty good analysis. Just looking over things though, the N from NH4 in Osmocote original is 10% of 19% where the pro is 8% of 18%. I'm guessing the NH4 is the cause of issues at least, and the ratios on any of them are pretty NH4 heavy. Maybe a dry start with osomocote would allow the substrate to start nitrogen cycling; the NH4 would be headed over to NO3 before it could leech out to any considerable level. Just thinking out loud.

bradac56

Prolific Poster
Jan 31, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Philosophos;44160 said:
I've always taken aquariumplants.com fertilizer related stuff as relative snake oil. Turface/SMS rebranded without any alteration, substrate tabs without analysis, heavy sales pitches, and a chip on their shoulder about EI sets off alarms for me. Don't get me wrong, they grow/sell some nice plants; I've ordered from them.

+1 on that, my thoughts exactly.

- Brad

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
"a chip on their shoulder about EI sets off alarms for me"

They are free to say what they want, but so am I, and I can type faster.
There are plenty of other vendors out there I can/could suggest other folks support and try ;)

Regards,
Tom Barr

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Who are some of these other places?

-
S

Tom Barr;44184 said:
"a chip on their shoulder about EI sets off alarms for me"

They are free to say what they want, but so am I, and I can type faster.
There are plenty of other vendors out there I can/could suggest other folks support and try ;)

Regards,
Tom Barr

Jeremy1

Prolific Poster
Aug 12, 2008
Left C;44158 said:
I'm a little leery about those tablets too. Why have so many different ones?

I bought some Osmocote Plus to try. It has NPK plus Mg and traces. I tried the regular Osmocote with only NPK and I had algae problems. Maybe the Plus may work.

OsmocotePlusMultiPurposePlantFood15.jpg

Along with the algae problems, did you have any fish deaths if it was due to the NH4 leaching from substrate? I was thinking of using Osmocote for my already established planted aquarium with fish, but now I am thinking as I don't want alge and certaninly don't want any fish deaths.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi jeremy,

IMO if you used it sparingly at first and did an extra water change or so mid-week, I would think you can ease into it.

I would think it is much less of an issue in an ESTABLISHED tank.

It does take time for the bacteria to MATCH the amount of nh4, so maybe using 25-30% at first and some extra WC would be the way to go at first?

LoudCreature

Prolific Poster
Oct 17, 2009
we have been using Osmocote for a little while and have no fish or shrimp deaths.

Seems to be working well, mainly in well established tanks that needed a boost.

We just redid an inert substrate with clay, peat, worm castings and Osmocoat Plus, but we did less than Tom Barr recommende, we put the fish back in the next day. It is heavily planted.

I do not think it leaches that much too quickly.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
shoggoth43;44344 said:
Who are some of these other places?

-
S

It was more a general thing, meant to show how bad mouthing rarely helps a vendor. It's just not a wise thing to poo poo DIY folks to build your sales up.
I would suggest ADA vendors for sediments, eg ADG or AFA. In your case overseas, the issue is much more "local".

Osmocoat leaches a specific rate and it's pretty even particularly if........the temp is steady.

It has a limited life span, but can be re enriched via tube and squirt some deep in the sediments. Pretty easy to do.

I'd suggest worm castings, mineralized soils, clay delta soils, river soils, peats etc.
Anything with good semi low organic matter(say 1-5% OM).

That + Osmocoat should do pretty good.
If you dislike soils, etc, then use sand and osmocoat alone.

Lots safer and less mess than Jobes sticks.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr