This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

substrate vacuuming?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rickztahone, Sep 29, 2010.

1. rickztahone

rickztahone Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:21 PM
    i was wondering if those of you with heavily planted tanks actually vacuum debris from the substrate? i currently keep discus and it's a must that i vacuum every last bit of debris from the tank floor. since i plan on doing a planted tank with only shrimp and maybe some chili's i was wondering if i need to vacuum the substrate or just change water? any help is appreciated.

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I never vacuum the substrate, there's not much substrate visible actually... But I have a lot of flow in my tank, this keeps most of the debris moving around until the filters can catch it. If your tank is only lightly stocked there's not much use doing it.

regards,
    dutchy

3. rickztahone

rickztahone Junior Poster

Local Time:
    thank you very much for the response.

4. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I wish I had more time to vaccuum. ;-)

If I do get the time, I generally try to suck up whatever I can when doing a water change.