This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Substrate reccomendations for newbie.

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by CptanPanic, Oct 19, 2010.

1. CptanPanic

CptanPanic Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:33 AM
    I am planning on setting up a Low Tech 55 gallon planted tank, No CO2, weekly/bi-weekly ferts, and am looking for a recommendation for substrate. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I live in south florida, so we don't really have top soil outside only sand. I do live next to a pond, would that be good? I would also be willing to do the mineralized method, but don't know where I can get clay and potash. So ideally the recommendation would allow me to get everything at 1-2 stores. Thanks in advance.
    CP

2. Htomassini

Htomassini Guest

Local Time:
    2:33 AM
    I have some brand new ada aqua soil I can sell u. I am in ft LAUDERDALE. Email me and I can hook you up.

Htomassini@Comcast.net

3. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If you decide to do mineralized, clay is available anywhere pottery is done, maybe even Michaels. The potash would be available at your Garden Center/nursery, probably not at the Home Depot or Lowes. I think you can use K2SO4 instead, which is available at aquariumfertilizer.com

Fred

4. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If this is a brand new tank and you are willing to spend some money, I would go with ADA aquasoil if I was starting from scratch with no fish in the tank initially, that is what I would do. A cheap option that can work is worm castings. See the worm castings thread for detailed instructions. That is what I did, b/c I didn't want to deal with the NH4 issues from Aquasoil with my fish. I also included a layer of osmocote with traces at the bottom, added some dolomite and K2SO4. I capped it all with Eco-Complete. You could use turface (in that case you can get everything from your garden supply store), play sand, fluorite, Eco, 3M black sand, small diameter gravel, etc. There are a bunch of options.

You can also look at the Non-CO2 thread Tom has here, which is full of good information and I think the ideal place for you to start. In that thread he recommends the use of leorardite, capped with onyx sand.

5. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    Turface is cheap but sometimes hard to find. It's primary use is in sports field construction and amendment. I found some at a local landscaper left over from a big project. High CEC ... but light in weight and easily disturbed. On the fast rooting stuff like my Ludwigia or Polygonum it works fine, but the slower growing stuff is easily disturbed and floats up and I find myself replanting now and then. Rinse well but don't expect to start out with no cloudiness at all.

Pat

6. BigFlusher

BigFlusher Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    2 inches of sand is about as cheap easy and low tech as it gets.

Biollante likes pool sand, it is what I use.

sand that you can pour vinegar or hydrochloric acid w/o reaction is good.

With care you do not need a filter

Joe

7. CptanPanic

CptanPanic Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to go the MTS route.
    Thanks.