This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Substrate Proof

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Bill, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Beside some substrates having more surface area than others and some being heavier (easier to work with), is there any proof that one substrate works better than the other if all of the plant nutrients are met by using the EI method?

Bill

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Re: Substrate Proof

None I know of.
    You might be able to provide more with adding a little to the substrate in the beginning, but that is short lived.

But for some folks who don't dose much, this might be useful in the start up phase.

Several studies showed that even with the roots cut off, the plants still grew at the same rate with the water column supplied with nutrient rich levels.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. detlef

detlef Subscriber

Re: Substrate Proof

I have a bare bottom 20g test tank running for more than two years now with only 3 big Ceratopteris, 3 Otos and 5 Caridina Japonica. The inhabitants get fed very, very sparingly. Most of the time they feed on algae alone. The water column has nutrient rich levels. I can confirm the above statement. When I cut the roots back to about one inch of length the plants keep growing without problems. With leaves 100% cut away but untouched long roots the plants die.

Regards,
    Detlef