This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Substrate Porosity

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by aquabillpers, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    3:01 PM
    Re: Substrate Porosity

:) tom's discription of ec being lightweight and would be better if larger parts of it would stay down is about right. even though it is lightweight , i've found no trouble in keeping plants secured. as for flora-base,been there, expensive kitty litter and has to be reconstatuted every six months to rejuvinate. all in all flourite and onyx seem to be the substrate of choice. plants really seem to take off much faster and look better right away. afterall,we look at our tanks every day, we want to see something positive going on in all that h2o. :) regards,cornhusker

2. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

Cornhusker,
    Has there been any danger of the lower layers, since they're the smaller grains
    of particles, of becoming compacted, anaerobic? Just curious, as I want to
    try this in one of my display killie tanks.

Bill

3. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

Golly gee, Ian, I'm a little thicker-skinned than that! However, if you call me
    "Rilly Silly Billy" I might start to get a little upset, but I doubt it. :D

Hey, good luck with the paper route, and say "halloo" to mum, won't you? ;)

(We really need more emoticons...I sure miss the little guy showing his BA.)

Buh-Bye,

Bill

4. Ian H

Ian H Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

Just when I think I've arrived at the answer on choosing a newer, better substrate someone comes up with a valid argument/alternative.

I concede that long term the substrate colour will not matter because the surface will be covered by plants. There are basically the 3 front runners that you have quoted. Based on nothing other than gut reaction and lots of internet searching my order of preference is Ecco, Onyx then Flourite.

As you can see I still put EC at the top. Grain lumpyness is noted as a negative, would it be feasible to sieve the product and crush the larger lumps?

The lighter weight of EC means that as it's sold by weight I'll get more product for my bucks.

Ian

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

your not getting more bang for your buck , its packed in water. as far as the smaller pieces getting compacted i see no problem. i was first introduced to ec three years ago, a friend used this product in a 150 gal tank. he did not follow any kind of fertilizing program including no co2 and grew great plants. this is probibly an exception to the rule. also his ec was beautiful,very fine grained, thats why i decided to try some. it could be that the company making this product is digging in different location and not taking time to strain .this accounting for the large pieces. today it is all about money, even in a simple hobby such as ours.ec versas flourite volume for tank setup is about the same. :) regards, cornhusker ps. the next tank i setup i'm going to try onyx sand.