This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Substrate for emersed setup

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by Noledoc, May 3, 2011.

1. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    9:56 PM
    Can you use topsoil without mineralization in a emersed setup?

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes?

Hi,

Sure you can use most anything.:eek:

What are planning to use with the topsoil?:confused:

Biollante

3. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thinking of laying down an inch of partially mineralized topsoil, adding some pellet Ferts and turface-type black substrate covering it, both from aquarium plants.com. Plan on an emersed setup with water level just under the top of the substrate. Lights will be T5HO about 3.5 wpg. How does that sound? And thanks for your response.
    Paul

4. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I like that layering of substrate, the economy of topsoil, nutrient value of pellet Ferts and aesthetic of black turface as a visible layer.

5. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Crispino. It's all done now, 5, 20 gal rubbermaid setups, all with a mix of topsoil, the turface-type substrate from aquarium plants.com and 3 mm gravel. They are all planted wi emersible aquatic plants I got from Drs Foster/Smith. Excellent quality and amount btw. I forgot the Ferts!! I'm think that I can let the topsoil supply most nutrients for a few months. I'm misting with a solution of liquid Ferts diluted in water. How does this sound to you? Lights are from two sets of T5HO, 4 lamp x 48" these are all emersed but in containers when full that hold about 20 gal each. I figure that would be equivalent to about 4.36 wpg. Your feedback?

#5 Noledoc, May 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011
  6. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hmmm... Fertz...

Hi,

You will need to add fertilizer as the nutritive value of top soil is about zero.:eek:

Biollante

7. chopsticks

chopsticks Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    If you are not going deal with fish and algae, I think it will be easier for you to just use a complete NPK + micros foliar fertilizer, like a 20-20-20 + micros, you can find small bags for indoor plants and gardens. You usually apply it once a week.

Emersed plants are just like normal tropical plants plus a high humidity requirement.

Cheers,
    Juan

#7 chopsticks, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
  8. Robert H

Robert H Junior Poster

Local Time:
    How do you figure that? Most all commercial top soil contains mulch and manure which is nitrogen rich, and he said he was going to use "partially" mineralized soil which would mean he is adding trace minerals and possibly macros depending on what recipe he is following for "mineralization". But, even to his original question, even without mineralization, it should have plenty of minerals for at least one season, and the organic material will provide plenty of nitrogen. Thats what I grow my flowers and veggies in. No ferts required

#8 Robert H, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011