Stunted Nesaea pedicellata - gold

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
I aquired some Nesaea gold last week and its growing but the new growth on most but not all the stems are growing in gnarled/curled. Id say 6 out of 10 stems are this way..

was wondering if anyone here has experience with this plant ..
I'm not sure if this is a deficiency or if it just doesnt like high levels of a particular nutrient..

I EI dose with KN03, K2S04 and KH2P04 every other day, plantex CSM+B and about 5mls of seachem iron on off days. (the plantex iron doesnt work well for me Im assuming b/c I have a high GH). I add MgS04 once a week with 50% WC.

KH - 4-5 (degrees)
GH - 15 (degrees)
N03-20ppm
P04-2pmm

C02 seems good but i cant be sure I dont test for it.. I dont test much of anything for that matter.. I usually just use the tank inhabitants as indicators.
At any rate C02 seems good, I get massive pearling about an hour into the light cycle from there on out. No algae problems. All other plants are growing healthly.

I should also note. I was given a few stems of half dead R. Macranda the day I got the Nesaea and they have formed new growth tips and are doing well..

Any suggestions?

essabee

Prolific Poster
Jan 17, 2007
Ranchi, Jharkhand, India.
My personal experience with Nesaea pedicellata is that it will display 'bunchy top' when ever it is moved to a new location. This habit is not related to nutrition but an idiosyncrasy of this plant. Have patience, the plant will start growing normally soon, it is only going through its way of acclimatisation.

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
2x 6700k 55w power compacts w/ parabolic reflector from AH supply and 2x 48" NO T5, 10k and 5500k over a standard 55gallon.

deep blue

Junior Poster
Feb 7, 2008
That is about 160+w of good strong light.Try to shut-off T5 and to lift a bit PC if you can.I will post a picture of my 65gal.(18 inch. deep) with 4x36 t8 (with reflectors) and 40 spices of plants and some of them are not easy plants.Tom is apsolutly right when he say less light,less light.:)

Darkstar

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2009
thanks man.. I've been actually thinking the same thing myself.. The distributor that had these nesaea stems lives right near me, they keep them in a 10g holding tank with very low light and no nutrients what so ever. Theyve had these stems for months now too b/c I always think about trying them everytime I go there and see them..They do howerver have black spots on their leaves tho. But yea.. I've been wanting to lower the lighting a bit for awhile now but the problem i have is the PC bulbs i have are 6700k's and they're so damn green looking by themselves.. I was gonna wait till i had some xtra cash to buy some new bulbs. before I cut the T5's. Can you recomend a brand/colortemp PC bulb that would work well? Do they make CFL's in the color temp Amano uses?