This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Stretch 72 Peninsula Tank, v2.0

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Christophe, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber

Thanks all!

I've gone through & uploaded all my pics to an album here, fixed all the photo links. I can't imagine how much work that would be for somebody with a lot more historical images stuck out on photobucket!

2. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Your tank looks amazing Christophe. Love the hardscape and the slopes, the opening in the middle, the plants look amazing. Very nice journal.

Dale.

DutchMuch likes this.
  3. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Christophe - my sodium level is near 80 ppm. Chloride is a little higher. The plants that I'm able to grow, do so despite this relatively high level. The plants that I'm unable to consistently grow (Lythraceae and a couple of others) did not improve when i switched to 100% reconstituted RO water.

The old Barr Report piece on sodium suggest plants are able to tolerate higher levels then 80 ppm. May be not all species, but most.

Ultimately, i am glad your plants are doing better, but could it be because going to mostly RO has eliminated some other variable?

Christophe likes this.
  4. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Thanks to you, I checked my city's sodium level: 43 ppm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christophe likes this.
  5. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber

Good to hear, even if it makes things more confusing. So I've had a clear reversal of what appeared as a K deficiency by going from 50/50 DI/Tap to 93% DI, and remineralizing to about the same GH/KH I had at 50/50.

Things that changed:
    Sodium, from 17.8 to 2.6ppm
    Chloride from 20 to 7ppm
    GH from 5.3 dH to 5.0 dH
    KH from 2.6 dH to 2.5 dH
    Same ratio of Ca to Mg, 3:1

Same macro dosing per week, but distributed slightly differently -- 70% of macros are included in the Saturday water change, and I do two little 15% boosters on Tuesday & Thursday.
    Total per week
    NO3 15 ppm
    PO4 2.0 ppm
    K 18 ppm.

A year or two ago, I had run K up to 30ppm per week without seeing a change. That was back while I was still using 100% tap. That was also while I was still dosing micros with a shovel.

Dosing of micros has been pretty consistent per week across the last several months as well:
    Fe 230 ppb
    Mn 110 ppb
    B 15 ppb
    Zn 13 ppb
    Cu 3 ppb
    Mo 1.7 ppb

Sulfate? Roughly the same before & after, 60-70ppm once all the hardness ingredients are added.
    Silicate? 28ppm to 2.1ppm. Impact? I doubt it.
    Aluminum? from 50 ppb to 4 ppb. Nah.
    All the other water constituents in my tap were below test sensitivity.

CO2? Same system, same pH drop, more or less the same plant density. Don't think so.

It would be nice to narrow down what's behind the improvement.

6. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

93% - every time I read that, my brain pauses for a few seconds from the randomness of the number. And then I move on. ;-)

It looks like you are doing a lot of things right. I know many who have had dramatic improvements in growth or far less issues after going with full or mostly RO. Besides the satisfaction gained from nailing down the exact root cause, there is no reason to delve deeper. Count your blessings.

If you recall from a couple of years ago, Solcielo had what appeared to be K deficiency in his Hygro pinnatifida - pinholes. He gradually increased K to nosebleed levels and did not see any improvements in the symptom. That was the genesis of the whole trace tox debate. Induced K deficiency appears fairly common. Yes, sodium could cause it and is a likely culprit in your case. I suspect other elements do too.

In your case, it looks like 50% RO did not get rid of the offending element, but 93% did...my brain is pausing again. And I've moved on.

7. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber

I just sorta set a target of sodium < 3 ppm. That's where it happens in a way that is also fairly easy to accurately measure, at 93%. Unless maybe there's a numerological thing going on with 9's and 3's that has magical plant-growing properties. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Pikez likes this.