This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Stretch 72 Peninsula Tank, v2.0

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Christophe, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:26 AM
    I love the smell of tannins in the morning. Smells like... a RESCAPE!

[​IMG]​​​​​​​

3 people like this.
  2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    oh my cannot wait for this! :cool: is that just local DW?

3. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I got the driftwood a couple of years ago from Tom Barr when I did the original setup. Back in those days, he went through the exercise of cataloging, photographing, and selling individual parcels of wood. That's a LOT of work, I don't blame him a bit for backing away from that practice.

Here's the notional placement, front & top views.

I might wind up simplifying somewhat as the substrate is going to have some shape that may influence how the wood sits. After soaking and three weeks of blender/DSM moss application, the color is a lot more uniform.

#3 Christophe, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    like the gateway look, or the archway.

#4 DutchMuch, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  5. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well, Saturday was a long day...

Completed the rescape mostly in one long session. Friday night I removed all the plants & hardscape from my former setup, allowing the dust to settle overnight. Saturday at 7AM I set up a 20 gallon holding tank for the fish, moved all the fish, 4 dozen green neons, 14 rummy nose, and a BNP. Then put all 60-70 cherry shrimp in a bucket, and commenced emptying the tank.

It's an acrylic tank, and over the past 2-1/2 years, it's acquired a haze of minor scratches inside. Nothing terribly obvious, but you see it when the lights are off, or when the water level is down. So I took the opportunity to buff it out with Novus #2 scratch remover. This requires cleaning the tank COMPLETELY. Removing all probably 150 lbs of wet old Aquasoil. Every trace of it. Geh.

Here's the result when all that and the buffing was done, a truly clean slate!

Then the hardscaping. I'm using a tan 30 grit blasting sand. Nice even granule size. It'd make a nice beach... plus a few bricky/blocky rocks to add some structure.

Nice, but it could use some plants...

Much better! Thanks, @burr740 !

Add water, and...

Only 12 hours later, I got pretty much what I was after -- a little sparser planting, more variety, some stretches of open sand, an improved three-sided view. I'll probably add a few more plant species, things will come and go as I find out what works in this environment.

#5 Christophe, Apr 30, 2017
    2 people like this.
  6. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    What lighting is that, finnex?

7. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It's a BML MC series, the one they introduced right before completely dropping the aquarium market. Wish I had a second one, it's a good enough light by itself, but spread is weak.

8. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    ah ok, well thanks for the reply

Nate

9. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The dust has settled...

I have a few more plants in mind to add, and a number of things need to move. I think I'll swap the diandra and glandulosa. The diandra landed in a strong current zone, It's a lot weaker where the glandulosa is. Glandulosa has stiffer stems and can take the flow. The light might be slightly better where the diandra is also.

The plants I got from @burr740 were truly top notch! They all seem to be adapting well, no melt or leaf shedding to speak of.

Ludwigia sp. red has slightly squinchy leaves, not a surprise after a couple days in a shipping box and another day in Tupperware. With completely new sand and water, it might take a bit to adapt as well. But for now it is showing an inch or two of growth already. Patience is the hard part, waiting for things to adapt.

Acmella repens is growing also, and pearling up a storm.

Really hoping the Rotala Indica makes the transition well, looking forward to seeing it develop.

#9 Christophe, May 2, 2017
    Phishless likes this.
  10. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    looks really good :)

I comment to much on this journal...

11. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    2:26 AM
    Looking good! That's some really nice color rendition for an LED.

L red is a tough, but fussy little plant. Pikez recently described it as "talkative". That's a perfect adjective because it loves to tell you about the least little thing.

Mine will scrunch their little face up sometimes after a trim or move, young shoots can go green or yellow just like those. Usually lasts a couple days then its all good again. Its quick to right itself. Probably be fine in a few days, week or so.

12. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Very nice. Excited for you. And the rest of us following.

How's BML MC different from xB? Very friendly color with your light.

At the recent AGA convention, the loss of BML lights were second only to the passing of Takashi Amano, as a point of sorrow.

13. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    MC series has separate channels for level control, while the xB were all on one. It's three channels, so blues, cyans, & greens are together on one, with a few whites thrown in, another is reds and a few more whites, and the third is all whites. Run at full power it's supposed to be the same PAR level (110 umol) as the xB. It's their 'Dutch Planted' spectrum, I'm running them all at the same level, 70%. I'm guessing that's about 75-80 umols at substrate level. Maybe after this configuration gets grown in well, I'll run it up some more, see what I get.

If they were still in this business, I'd easily spring for a second bar. One is good enough for an 18" wide tank, but two would spread better.

14. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    2:26 AM
    Clever reference btw. Duvall is great in that movie. :)

Dale Hazey likes this.
  15. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I keep threatening the kids with "Tonight we're gonna watch Apocalypse Now!"

They always reply, "Naw, we'll see Apocalypse Later."

a1matt, Dale Hazey, Pikez and 3 others like this.
  16. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Another week, another water change, some growth, a few new species, some shifting things around...

It's been tricky finding a place where the diandra works without being laid flat or torqued by current. It's actually standing pretty upright, but has branched enough that it looks unruly. I'll trim it to single strands next week. Along with that, I've gotten stiffer-stemmed plants into the higher current areas, plants that don't completely lie flat on the sand if there's flow. Helps consolidate the two separate islands look.

I am pleased with the move to inert sand from Aquasoil. The water is exceptionally clear right after water change & extensive digging & replanting, even though there's still a bit of tannin staining evident here. I kinda like the inert substrate not tweaking the water chemistry, sequestering cations, buffering pH. Makes for more direct control of what's in there.

#16 Christophe, May 8, 2017
    2 people like this.
  17. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I use inert sand for all my substrates, its great :)

Tank looks as if its growing and coming along

18. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Dutch!

Comparing the sand to Aquasoil, it doesn't kick up a cloud of dust when you replant, so I can move stuff around with a little more impunity. Because of that, weekly maintenance is made easier, not nearly as much stuff to pressure-wash out of my felt filter sock or other mechanical media.

Looking at the plants I got from burr740 who also uses blasting sand, it appears that one can grow stuff in it really well if you know what you're doing -- I don't feel at a particular disadvantage for not having a more complex soil.

Things are mostly set here for now, I'll just do some minimal trims to keep things out of each other's way, grow everything out for a while to acclimate it.

19. Greggz

Greggz Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks like a really nice start to a tank with loads of possibilities. Beautiful presentation so far, will get even better as things grow in.

I'm curious, do expect those changes in elevation to stay?? In my tank with BDBS, I started with some hills like that, but a year later it's pretty much flat.

20. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Not sure how it's going to develop from here. I did build up the rocks beneath to sort of impede the flow of sand out into the central channel. Some settling did occur at the highest point. At water change this weekend, I siphoned off the debris from the top layer of the central channel, then scooped up some sand from there to fill in what had settled. I'm hoping to be able to continue to do that over time without burying a lot of organic glop and causing problems in my substrate.

I'm also planting rooty ground cover on steeper slopes that I'm hoping to maintain. I suspect it'll be a learning experience...