This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Algae Growth Pattern

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by gunk, Apr 25, 2010.

1. gunk

gunk Subscriber

Local Time:
    11:28 AM
    My aquarium is 2ft high, but algae does not grow past 1ft (from the bottom of the aquarium to half-way up). If I let it go for a while it actually forms a very sharp line right around the aquarium.

If it grew from the top of the aquarium down I would think may be it's something to do with the light levels but there should be less light at the bottom not more. I have considered that maybe it's temperature related but the flow in my tank should be enough to keep it reasonably even throughout the tank.

Any ideas why the algae would be growing like this?

2. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It sounds like the bottom part of the aquarium is getting sunlight for part of the day.

That happens to me in the spring and fall when the sun rises and falls in the sky.

Bill

3. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Information Please

Hi All,

This is one of those times a picture would be nice. :)

Circulation can cause that kind of thing water can be (is naturally) laminar.

If you use CO2 and mist, it can be CO2 is not good in the bottom half.

An area of poor circulation, while this tank gets some sun, the reason for the algae outbreak seems to be dissolved organic compounds in an area of poor flow. I used ¼ teaspoon Alum in 80ml distilled water, no reaction until the solution reached the bottom third of the tank.

[attachment=585:name]

Three water changes two days apart some cleaning, a good Fleet Enema wipe down an adjustment to a small pump and Bob’s your Uncle, no more nasties.

Biollante

P4120101..JPG

4. gunk

gunk Subscriber

Local Time:
    I think your on to something with the poor circulation. I'm not sure what Alum is (but I'm guessing it's the active ingredient in flocculant solutions) but I added some Seachem Clarity and it clouded up straight away however the moment it hit the area where the algae starts, it took a turn and got sucked through a whole in my drift wood.

I've adjusted the flow direction a little and once I've made my new intake which incorporates a surface skimmer, I'll get rid of the two directional output (with one direction currently adjusted to give a little surface agitation) and replace it with a single one which should push the water a bit further down and around the tank sides.

#4 gunk, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
  5. gunk

gunk Subscriber

Local Time:
    It's been a while but I finally have an update!

I went out and bought a Tunze nanostream and directed it to give a better flow for the lower half of the tank and I got less GSA growing and what there was was spread more evenly around the tank. I then got a set of T5 lights (2 x 4ft) to replace the T8 ones and my plants went nuts and the GSA is almost completely gone. Unfortunately I also now have quite a bit of BBA.