Stock macro solution..And npk ratios?

SajidS

Junior Poster
May 4, 2014
Making a stock solution is convenient as hell but i have read and observed at a friends place that it is hard to dissolve all the macro chemicals into one mixture!
Did some really brief reading and came up with the current mix thanx to a nutrient calculator
69.134g KNO3
12.151g KH2PO4
104.293g KCL

1) My question is would all the above macro ferts mix and dissolve in a 600 ml solution of distilled water?
i plan on adding 15ml of this solution to get npk ratio of 10:2:20 ppm.. and does this ratio work?
(been experiencing potassium deficiency so decided on adding kcl)
Does the npk ratio sound right ? i know there is no such ratio set in stone but have to start with somewhere!

2) Completely off topic - Does micro solution and macro solution (alternate day dosing ofc) form precipitates so much so that it causes deficiencies?
noticed a huge difference when i started dosing the micros only on one day (that is after the water change day)as opposed to every alternate day as per ei recommendations!

Sorry for the noob ques!
Thanks For your time people!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
KCL is unlikely needed, If you use KNO3 and KH2PO4.
More likley, the issue was CO2.

I'd not worry much about ratios.
Just the specific amounts of each nutrient.

Those matter, ratios do not.

I dose micro and macros at the same time, but dose micros more often(4-5x a week or so, vs 2x a week for macros).

I dose basically 15 ppm NO3, 5 ppm PO4, and about .2-.4 ppm of Fe per dose.
K+ will not matter as I always will have excess.
GH booster also has some of that also(done after water changes).

It should not be that complicated.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
KCL is unlikely needed, If you use KNO3 and KH2PO4.
More likley, the issue was CO2.

I'd not worry much about ratios.
Just the specific amounts of each nutrient.

Those matter, ratios do not.

I dose micro and macros at the same time, but dose micros more often(4-5x a week or so, vs 2x a week for macros).

I dose basically 15 ppm NO3, 5 ppm PO4, and about .2-.4 ppm of Fe per dose.
K+ will not matter as I always will have excess.
GH booster also has some of that also(done after water changes).

It should not be that complicated.

SajidS

Junior Poster
May 4, 2014
Thanks for those concentrations you provided ... Can you say what lighting do you use or the wpg on that tank.. Thanks for your time
It was in fact co2 deficiency.. And will probably end up with a solutions with those conc. In the tank..

Also is there an archive or such of research and experimental data on aquarium plants where one could read for knowledge... Plz link me
Thanks for your time !