This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

staurogyne like wild plant in Austin, tx

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by mythin, Jun 12, 2014.

1. mythin

mythin Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:49 AM
    I posted this up on APC too, but i thought I would cross post here to see if anyone knew what plant this was, I didnt see anything in plant finder that looked like it, my guess is a staurogyne or hygrophila?

r89vujq.jpg
    fjSVDWe.jpg

close up

4918eRb.jpg

the whole leaf has a purple sheen to it, with dark purple veins and a dark purple stem, the green parts are a little silvery.

Edit, took some pictures of it in my tank under the lights, it shows the purple better.

3pWP2z4.jpg
    B9vVoJL.jpg

#1 mythin, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
    Jason King likes this.
  2. poormanisme

poormanisme Guest

Local Time:
    6:49 PM
    Wow, thats really nice. Hopefully, it takes to submerged life. Could be the next "it" plant.
    scott

3. aquarist

aquarist Guest

Local Time:
    Looks awesome! Did you find them near a lake or a river? I may have to go look around here and see what we have natively.

4. Pebes

Pebes Junior Poster

Local Time:
    update

Any update on the progress?

5. aquarist

aquarist Guest

Local Time:
    I was hoping for an update too Pebes, perhaps with another *bump* we will get one.

6. mythin

mythin Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hey, sorry didnt realize people were still looking at this post.

The plant ID, I believe it to be Veronica 'Americana', it grew just fine submerged for several months, but it lost all the things that made it look nice with its submerged form compared to its emersed form.

It was no longer purple hue'd, the plant elongated, the leaves got bigger and more round, it looked like a giant bacopa kinda. Nice plant, but I dont think I will be using it in an aquascape any time soon.

It is in the very right edge of this picture, the lime yellow plant with pearling, right behind the PERSICARIA SP. 'SAO PAULO'
    2PTsb4O.jpg

#6 mythin, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014