This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Stauro and Mc melt

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by skija, Nov 17, 2015.

1. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:28 AM
    Hello , getting back on this thread , asking about BBA , why do you think i got BBA growing on driftwood on this tank ?

Plants are growing fine , i remeasured KH and its 6 . Later in this thread i was saying that KH is 3 but i was measuring it wrong .

If i nuke BBA with easy carbo or H2O2 it dies but comes back after 3-4 weeks

2. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    10:28 PM
    I'm guessing you need more plants in that sparse area. You can remove the wood and destroy it and tie moss over to cover up. But if you look at that certain area you need a little more plantage, or up the co2 even more. The wood counts as gap space as well as its not taking in nutrients

3. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi guys , do you have any experience with rotala getting sprouting roots ? Or the reason they are not getting these roots ?

I posted a picture i found on the internet .

My rotalas had these roots but after i trimmed they didn't came back

Thanks

rotala.jpg

4. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi , anyone knows which of the following plant species are big NO3 consumers ?

Monte carlo

Stauro

Rotala Green (is covering most of the tank)

Anubias

Microsorum Trident

H Pinnatifida

i'm asking because i keep adding 10 ppm KNO3 each day and JBL NO3 test is measuring around 5 ppm NO3 , i know some test are inaccurate but with this amount added of KNO3 i reach around 50-60 ppm NO3 per week which for me sounds a bit too much .

Thank you

5. Pikez

Pikez Rotala Killer!
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Not sure which one is NO3 hog, but 50-60 ppm is a lot. Not unusual for a healthy tank to consumer 3-5 ppm NO3 with lots of light and CO2. I suspect there may still be a testing/calibration error and that most of what you are adding is still in the water.

6. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ok , thanks

7. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi again , a small update about the melting ....maybe too much text for a few people :)

I was using a drop checker liquid that was let say "defect" , it was showing bad CO2 values ( was using it for more than 6 months :( ), was never going lime-green or yellow , i found out from a Romanian forum that some hobbyist having the same issue with this drop checker solution, i almost kill my fish trying to get high CO2 levels increasing the bps to 3.5 in a 64 liter tank . Lots of hobbyists were returning the solutions to manufacturer .

I found this out after i bought 2 different drop checker solutions from other 2 manufacturers , both are working fine now . I'm doing 1.5 bps now and shrimps are more active also snails are more active , i thought all was about this micro nutrient toxicity but was not ....

The stauros and MC were still growing slow and they had that yellowish color and transparent leaves, so i thought if this is not CO2 deficiency , neither NO3 and PO4 because im dosing EI levels for Macros lets try increasing micros .....i was dosing 0.1 ppm Fe level micros because i thought the melting was about this micro toxicity .

And guess what , im dosing now 0.1 ppm Traces + 0.5 ppm Fe each other day . Mo more melting occurred .

After 2 weeks everything seems to grow ok , also pinholes in hygro pinnatifida were gone

:)

EDIT : my AS is one year old now

#127 skija, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016
  8. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Guys i keep reading journals on forums and checking how much PO4 hobbyists are dosing .

I'm adding 2.4 ppm PO4 three times per week , do you think its too much ? or i'm just paranoia :)

I see others are dosing 2,5 ppm pew week and they have higher PAR than me .

If i dose less , lets say 1.7 ppm i get GSA on glass and a few leaves of anubias .

Tests confirm that PO4 is being consumed .

9. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Any thoughts ?

Thank you

10. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    12:28 AM
    My experience with gsa is the same for any other algae, clean tank, healthy plants = not much algae.

I recently had a negative experience dosing P at 2 and 2.5 ppm 3x. But I also dose very low traces. My feeling is the higher P levels were somehow zapping the Fe and possibly other micros. This was somewhat confirmed when user PortalMasterRY on TPT tested my water with his fancy Hanna meter. At least it showed that significant Fe was going somewhere in a hurry. Whether or not it was due to the P is speculation on my part. My sub is also inert sand, no cec or anything.

The last few pages in my tpt journal talks about it some. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/592313-75-gallon-journey-31.html Just start at the end and go backwards if you want to read about it

11. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well im dosing 15 ppm NO3 , 2.4 ppm PO4 , 1 ppm MgSO4 each other day , 3 times per week . Im asking if this is too much because i see journals where hobbyists are dosing half of the dose i add .

Micros (Easy life Profito) 0.16 ppm level Fe and extra Iron (Easy Life ferro) 0,5 ppm 3 times per week , all this in 64 liter tank . I have 2 x 24 W giesemann tubes at 16 cm above the tank and CO2 is rich .

I'm also dosing micros and macros each other day so i'm NOT mixing them in the same day . PO4 levels are constant all week 0.8 - 1 ppm even second day after dosing PO4.

I dropped CSM for Easy Life micros + Fe and now stauros and MC are growing ok , no more melting .

Plants are fine , only algae i have is BBA but it grows on driftwood exposed to light and is not covered by plants . And GSA if i don't dose 2,4 ppm PO4 , but in small amounts , i cannot see the GSA it if i'm not really close to the tank .

So the question is am i adding too much ferts ?

I know it sounds weird this question considering my plants are fine .

12. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Guess it depends on what you mean by too much. Could you get by with less? Probably so, I'd say. Does it matter? If everything is happy I dont see why it would be a problem.

Curious what kind of test you use to get the .8 - 1 ppm PO4 result? That seems incredibly specific unless you have a high quality instrument

13. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I use JBL po4 test , that's why i said 0.8 - 1 ppm because it cannot be read exactly

14. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi again , anyone knows whats happening to my microsorum trident ? Rest of the plants are growing ok .

Looks like necrosis and seems to be present on more leaves . I haven't changed anything in the tank .

First time i saw this "necrosis" i cut all the leaves and now after one week after 3 days after water changer seems that this "necrosis" is back.

Im dosing KNO3 15ppm 3 times per week , KH2PO4 2.5 ppm 3 times per week , MgSo4 1 ppm 3 times per week and Micros 0.3 ppm 3 times per week

1.jpg

2.jpg

15. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    10:28 PM
    Looks pretty normal for amount of light u have on tank

16. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    What do you mean ? I have this light for like 3-4 months , never seen this on microsorum , even when i had aquasky 601 i haven't seen this , and aquasky 601 is much stronger then 2x24w

17. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Till now i think it might be something related to tap water , this problem appears every time i change water , after 2-3 days

18. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Have you tried cutting macros down to normal EI levels? I still dont understand the need to dose twice the usual amount

19. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    I see this now and then on some plants. Not been able to nail down the reason but moving the plant to a location where its not crowded and has good flow and CO2 fixes it.

20. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi , i dose 10 ppm NO3 , 3 times per week , i guess its normal , PO4 2 - 2.5 ppm 3 times per week , do you consider this too much ?

I stopped dosing MgSO4 and see if anything changes

#140 skija, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2016