This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Starting over and need some advice

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by ShadowMac, Dec 20, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:07 PM
    A little background, a year and a half ago I discovered this wonderful hobby and have been enjoying it ever since...well most of it. I have some ups and downs, which are to be expected. I've become much better at growing plants and scaping. However through this process my 37 gallon has gone through quite a few changes. I believe I have found the proper lighting for my goals, I have learned how to provide stable CO2 in the necessary amounts. But through all this learning I have been left with remnants of algae I just can't kill or pick out.

The aquasoil has been the same as I started with 18 months ago with some new stuff added here and there. I recently received some gorgeous pieces of wood from Tom, which will provide great hardscape and good cover for my rams. I would like to rescape and do a complete overhaul. (Actually I would like to buy an entirely new system, but that isn't in the cards at this moment) In doing my overhaul I will be removing all flora, fauna, and hardscape.

To clean the plants of snails and algae I plan on a KMnO4 bath and manual removal of algae and infected leaves. I think this should work well without killing plants. Thoughts?

Now, what about the soil? Should I replace it? If so the next part is easy, remove it all and wash the tank. I will be housing the critters in a temporary tank with the filter running until the overhaul is completed. A cycle of all new aquasoil with an established filter shouldn't take more than a week or two, right? After this time period could I add all of my critters? Or just the shrimp and ottos for another week? Then the rams and cardinals?

If I don't need to, or if it wouldn't be a good idea to replace the soil then would a KMnO4 bath of the tank be a good idea to remove the organics that have inevitably built up and kill algae within the top layer of soil? The clado in my hairgrass has been impossible to get ride of completely and seems to grow as well as the grass.

Any suggestions or things I'm missing? I want to start from scratch so that the mistakes of the past are not impeding my progress.

#1 ShadowMac, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I could swing some new aquasoil. Too bad everyone in my family is stuck on getting presents you can "open" and not giftcards to various online aquarium retailers. Oh well...

I'm leaning towards the new stuff too. I have multi type in my ADA 30 C

4. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    More than likely the algae problems that you had is in your used Amazonia as well. I don't think that simply washing it would get rid of all or most of the problem stuff.

Do you like the multi-type? I sure do.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Sell some plants, something..........then use that $ to pay for the ADA AS.

This is my "beer money" basically.........however, I do not drink, never have really........so I have other bad habits, like this hobby.