This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a NON CO2 tank

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Amitava Chakraborty, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Amitava Chakraborty

Amitava Chakraborty Junior Poster

Hi,

I am going to make my 2'/1'/1' tank to a non co2 planted tank. This will have golssotigma,rotala roudofolia, java moss and anubius nana. I will cover almost 50% area of the tank with those plants initially.

The substrate will have 'Prodac humus' as a thin base layer and natural 1-2mm gravel as the main substrate. Because I can not have othere than AZOO substrate and Florabase as a commercial substrate only here in India. Should I change the gravel substrate to one of those commercial substrate ?

The tank will have 48 watt cfl as lighiting without reflector. (Should I change this ?)

Can you guys tell me that what the fert routine should I follow ?

I will top up with municipal water weekly.

Somebody suggesting me that I should have a good surface movement in a non co2 tank. What is your opinion regarding that ?

regards

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Starting a NON CO2 tank

I'd use a simple Hagen HOB style filter, nothing special and perhaps a 150 gal flow rate.

Lighting is too high, 40+w on a 15 gal tank is well over the mark, shoot for 30 watts of standard FL lighting.

The substrate choice you have is suitable. I think you will have a tough time with Gloss unless you plant the tank well.

I'd suggest no less than a very dense 75% initial planting.
    You can remove plants later, but the first 1-2 months, plant heavy.
    Also, any and all algae eaters you can add, should be done soon.

I would also add some java fern and some floating plant of some sort.
    The flow from the filter can corral the floating plants into a certain region(the one without the rooted plants).

To grow Gloss and some of the other plants, I suggest adding a little Ca/Mg once a week, as well as a little KNO3/KH2PO4.

Regards,
    Tom Barr