This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Stan Gets His Holy Grail Aquarium Plant...bolbitis Heudelotii.

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Species' started by Stan510, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    5:24 PM
    Kind of hazy today...It really looks good on a sunny clear day and the sun is streaming down. The Nesaea and the Rotala colors really pop. I might post another tomorrow..sun all day is forecast.
    In the last photo is a Dracaena 'Janet Craig dwarf'. That plant is over 30 years old and only because of some tips that snapped is it not even taller. A slow growing plant. It takes years and over a decade before it will flower..and flower it has. Wifes,knick knacks,my late brothers Jim Beam bottles from 1969-73 or so. Plus..I made that ceramic Koi. Its a hobby room..of 50 years of various hobbies..ha.
    Bolbitis is looking better by the day. Syngonium now has roots that not only reached the back panels substrate 24" down...its now touching down roots just a couple of inches from the front glass and the fish love that..love the roots and vines and stems to hang and shelter in...and flake food that floats at the surface ..its like a game of hunt and peck for the fish.

#21 Stan510, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  2. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Just an update. I found last years first try with B.h and it has new tiny, TINY,croziers on it. I tied it to a piece of wood higher up in the tanks(its going to be a very long time before its too large,if ever) scaping.
    I also for the first time had to pull the sheer shade by the window's intense southwest exposure to almost half as the sunlight is now stronger and I learned from last year..too much light can work against you. Like a greenhouse whitewashed windows...I'm doing the same with curtains. I had my wife buy sheer light blue curtains..those to try later. But,I'm thinking sunlight through them might make everything more colorful. We will see. The unshaded 60% of the window powers the Syngonium.

3. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    One more....I had to treat the tank with ICHX and the Bolbitius hated that. It turned black. But,my original plant? That had died to the stem?..as crazy as it sounds..its sprouting fronds and those fronds are green,no BBA on them. Keep you updated.

4. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Its now to the left and pretty much is growing on all window light. New fronds are at glacial speed...but growing. Now that its under all window light/spectrum? Most of the BBA and ALL the brown algae are gone. Same tank,same fish and dosing,same me. Just that real light suits it much better than my LED or fluorescent ever did.
    IMG_1867 (1).jpg

Alyssa likes this.
  5. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Its sent out a flush of leaves...still quite a bit smaller than the original. Slow grower,but I have found the spot and I see many new roots and croziers(fiddleheads) sprouting. I also have been upping the fertilizer on this tank. I suspect the Syngonium roots feeding a plant now 4' acoss in a thick shrub like fashion is the culprit AND savior. No real algae bloom with all the fertilizers.
    I also now make the water changes every other week. Once a week was too often..and i was draining all the goodness out before it could do something is the way I look at it. THIS is NO nano tank...I need to watch how much I spend. Sometimes i get the feeling I'm in Reef tank territory with cost and fanaticism!

6. EdWiser

EdWiser Member

Local Time:
    7:24 PM
    A good planted tank be as consuming as a reef tank.

Stan510 likes this.
  7. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Just to update..its still not as large leafed as it was in January from the LFS cuttings. But in my no Co2 tank and basically all the light it gets is window?..its looking to really get ready to do some serious growing. The root system must take a very long time build up in just a plain aquarium...I mean I even hardly dose Iron now. Some new fronds look translucent and like lettuce.
    I've also reduced the number of plant species. What struggles I just took out. Slow growing I can live with..struggling?..just compost it.

8. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    It took nine months of this plant adapting to my conditions,of growing a denser thicker rhizome with many small branchlets and from then its grown progressively larger leaves until the largest is almost the size of the last remaining original leaf. All with no Co2 and bright window light mostly. Compared to my first try,there has not been any dieback. With no Co2,its slow alright. But looks so good- I removed the stem plants that were behind it. My tank is a fish tank first,then a plant tank. Bolbitis is such a great looking foliage plant why let other dime a dozen stem plants compete?
    My update on the 240 is...most stem plants removed,Ludwigia ovalis remains as it has kind of a nice reddish green color ( With Co2 Its pure red,I've seen it) Crypts,ferns,moss,Sword plants and a small but colorful Lotus..red. I also stopped with supplements other then occasional Seachem iron (great stuff) as other things were too much trouble and not worth almost no visible benefit. Iron makes a difference..oh,ok a root tab does green up the sword nicely.
    IMG_2746 (1).jpg

9. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Here's the Syngonium...the Mother of all indoor Syngoniums.
    IMG_2748 (1).jpg