Staghorn

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Hy

About two days ago appear at the top of some plants and in the front glass staghorn algae.
I have clean the filter and and made a water change, and since i have found the NO3 was at zero and the PO4 at 1 i have increase the EI two times at week since i don´t i have CO2.
At the glass the staghorn have turn red i don´t no why and have been removed but in the leaves of plants they are dark green.

My question is? Can i turn down the lights for a couple of days to try kill the staghorn?

Regards

PS: I don´t have CO2

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Since no one is answering:
Turning down the light for a couple of days won't kill the staghorn. It grows even with almost no light. Staghorn can be caused by an excess of NH4. Always do a water change after working in the tank, but don't do them once a week, more like once a month or less. Read Tom's Non Co2 method: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/2817-Non-CO2-methods

Never let your micro's and macro's bottom out.

regards,
Dutchy

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks Dutchy

Since i have increase the macro´s the staghorn has stopped and i have only do a blackout of two days.
If i have excess of NH4 the test don´t have accused but it´s possible i have some trace o NH4 in the water.
I have remove the manually the rest of staghorn and until today no more have appears, i hope for ever.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Sorry, maybe i´m boring all you folks with this question.

If i remove the leaves with staghorn they apear again after a couple of days.
What should i do? PO4 is a 2 ppm and NO3 at 20 ppm (more or less)
I can´t do a water change cause i have i fry of apistogrammas cacatuoide and i´m afraid of sucking them .

Regards

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Python works fine with a pond mesh planter or panty hose rubber banded around intake. I've never had Apisto fry but I'm guessing you'll likely want to drain slow anyway. That stuff helps break up the flow on refill, too.

Let me do my Tom impersonation: "More CO2." Pretty good, right? :) I think this algae is your tank telling you you have to adjust here.

Underrated with stuff like staghorn is to mess with it. When you pull it, rub those attachment spots out with your fingers. Drain past it and dump Excel or H2O2 on it. Water changes afterwards, of course. Just mess with this lower order stuff and it helps it from bouncing back and therefore is easier to beat after adjusting CO2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Czado, the poster does not use c02....

Insemnio,

What type of filtration and tank size? What type of lighting and duration? Substrate?

I have never had staghorn so could not answer your question and thus did not respond earlier. It is not 'boring' to see your questions.....

I thought that reviewing your overall setup may point out some issue.......

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Ismenio,

No boring questions at all.

Can you measure the NH4 level? You can also start to "save" CO2 by the usual methods as less light intensity and less light duration. Depends on what you're using now. (see post Gerry). Be careful of using Excel with your fry. Don't overdose.

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks all you people

Czado i don´t have CO2 but if necessary i can use Excel

Gerry i have a tank with 20 Gallons and a Fluval 105 with a basket full of siporax mini and the other basket full of eheim substrat pro, two pll bulbs of 24 W 7200 K made in china i think but only one is used (the other is disconnected) and i turn on by eight hours day.
The substrat is a mix of HS aqua Humalit and Prodac Humus and at the top black gravel medium size

Dutchy i have the API test and the Hagen test and both give 0, at 13/2/2010 the NO2 was 0 , NO3 - 20 ppm , PO4 - 2 ppm , KH - 2 dK , GH - 7 and PH at 6.8

Any ideas after this ?

Regards

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
To me everything looks ok, but you still have a CO2 shortage. Do your plants grow?

What I would do is start using Excel in the normal dosage. It will make your plants grow by providing in a C-source and works against the staghorn. When using the excel you can also start to do 50% waterchanges.

Regards,
dutchy

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Hello Dutchy

My plants grow well, now regarding the use of excel you say to use always correct? In that case probably its better considering the use of co2 ! What do you think?

Regards

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Hi Ismano,
For a twenty gallon tank a DIY CO2 would be an easy fix, but the needed sugar can be expensive in the long run. A one gallon size yeast reactor will use between three and four cups of sugar every two weeks and it may not even solve all your algae issues. Yeast is a live culture, often erratic at times and CO2 fluctuations can cause problems. Try improving the water flow for your tank first. A flow rate of 85gph (Fluval 105) is on the low side. If you do go with CO2 it's even more important to find an efficient way of dispersing CO2 into the tank. Needle wheel/powerheads work well for small tanks but some people don't like the clutter. So, start by improving the flow rate and see what that does.

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
ismenio;46777 said:
Hello Dutchy

My plants grow well, now regarding the use of excel you say to use always correct? In that case probably its better considering the use of co2 ! What do you think?

Regards

I think it depends on what your goal is. If you want faster plant growth, CO2 is an option. I would not start to use CO2 just as a reason to kill algae. Starting to use CO2 can kill your staghorn, but can also be a reason for growth of other algae if not done the right way. If you are happy with the growth you have, using Excel is a good intermediate option that will make your plants grow and work against the algae at the same time.
If you OVERDOSE Excel it can kill your fry. So if you use it, keep the normal dosage, no more.

regards,
dutchy

ismenio

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks Tug and Dutchy.

I have already put a mini pump to increase the water circulation.
I´m waiting for the Excel from my local dealer and until then i have cut for 4 hours the light.

Has soon has possible i will put some photos for all see how it´s going on my fight agains the staghorn.

Thanks all of you.

Regards