This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Staghorn help

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by DukeNJ, Oct 17, 2014.

1. DukeNJ

DukeNJ Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:22 AM
    Hi folks,

I have a fairly new nano, a 12x12 cube that I started about 6 weeks ago. It's the first I've used Aquasoil in and first with HC. Shrimp -CRS and Carbon Rilis, couple Nerites are the only inhabitants.

Things have been going well with the HC growing in nicely. A couple of weeks ago I noticed some BBA. Wasn't a surprise, CO2 has been consistent after a little variation in the first week, so I thought it would sort out. Last week I noticed some staghorn developing. Unfortunately it has been increasing too quickly for me to remove.

I have never had stag horn before and am not sure how best to combat it in a way that won't harm the inhabitants or the HC.

Any suggestions?

Tganks

2. DukeNJ

DukeNJ Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Used a syringe to spray both stag horn and BBA yesterday. The results were spectacular. Lots of bubbles. Looked like the tank was on fire. Today lots of dying algae. Shrimps and plants seem unharmed.

Is that common for surrounding plants to be in impacted by moderate h2o2? I was expecting a scorched earth.

What happens to the h2o2. Does it breakdown into gases and dissipate, or is a water change necessary? I have a few more applications to do before wait and see mode.

Thanks

3. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    It depends, I have dosed H202 with no affect to plants before, I have also dosed it and had the leaves get burned pretty badly. I think it has to do with contact time and concentration. Usually when I dose it underwater I am okay, but I won't expose the leaves to air and spray it on again let me tell you.

I'm careful about the total dosage, but I don't think you need to do a water change. I'm not very scientific about these things but I think it does something like combine with organics and oxidize quickly.

That being said, I did do a small water change because it was due, but in a tank with sensitive shrimp I never do more than a 10% water change at a time. I wiped out a whole colony of CRS once because I did a 20% change and accidentally mixed the water with 2 deg hardness more than the existing water. Cherries are of course much more durable, so are all Neos.

Whiskey