Spray Bar

Grafalski

Prolific Poster
Feb 24, 2006
Hi All!!
I`d like to try the mist method in my tank. I decided to use powerhead and spray bar.
My question is: What material should I use to build a spray bar? I`ve noticed some people use a rigid clear pvc tube but I`m having hard time to get this kind of pipe. The flexible clear one will be also Ok?

Thanks

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Spray Bar

In a previous post, I mentioned a place to buy the solid 1/2" clear PVC pipe, or even CPVC 3/8" pipe (with a light colored substrate) will do the job, or clear flexible pipe. Might try to Google "clear PVC pipe" for a location near you. My only concern is that the flexible pipe might twist, or require quite a few suction cups to hold it in place. If you do use the clear pipe, be sure to get an end cap as well. I'm very satisfied with the clear pipe- if you wish, you also might want to arrange an elbow or 2 to get the tube right down into the substrate, but with my 40, it's almost invisible as it is. REALLY like the CO2 dispersion. Good luck with your choice.

Walter :gw :D :D

Grafalski

Prolific Poster
Feb 24, 2006

I`ve seen your post but they send 10ft long piece cut in half.
What am I going to do with that? I`ll try to find something online via Google.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

Grafalski said:
I`ve seen your post but they send 10ft long piece cut in half.
What am I going to do with that? I`ll try to find something online via Google.
I don't know where you live, but Tap Plastics has clear acrylic tube, clear acrylic discs that fit in the end of the tube, and the cement needed to attach the disc permanently, all at a cheap price. That's what I use. I bought a 6 foot piece and still have about a 4 foot piece left over, plus some discs. If you aren't too far away from Sacramento, California I could possibly get it to you without it costing an arm and a leg for shipping. The tube is 1/2 " ID to match my powerhead output stub.

Grafalski

Prolific Poster
Feb 24, 2006

Thanks Vaughn :D . I`m too far from California. I live in Chicago area.
I went to couple of hardware stores and found nothing - all they have is a clear flexible tubing.

Grafalski

Prolific Poster
Feb 24, 2006

Does anybody know what is the size of rio 600 rvt output stub? I`ll try to get a pvc tube before my powerhead arrives.
Also. What kind of cement or silicone do you guys use for your mist equipment?

Thanks

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I think 1/2" ID or 5/8" OD tubing should fit on the rio.
www.Aquaticeco.com sells clear PVC as well as pre cut acrylic.

Regards,
Tom Barr

DavidR

Prolific Poster
Apr 1, 2005
Texas

When deciding on the type of spraybar I wanted (hose or hard acrylic tube), I got to thinking, I need to build up the substrate in the back of my tank, so there will be some sloping going on, so I figured the hose would do better. Hugs the curves better. I'm using a clear hose, and the twisting was not too difficult to work with. I have 3 suction cups, but 4 would be ideal (75g tank), or 1 every 10-12".

I was going to go to Home Depot to get my supplies, but I was dropping off a broken monitor and printer at a plastic supply place. I walked in and immediately knew I could get what I needed there! They had all kinds of plastic hoses & tubes of all colors, shapes, and sizes. They even threw in a free endcap! I told the the nice lady I was looking for a 16/22mm hose, and she was said "We only have inches here." lol :D I asked for a 3/4" OD hose.

And yes, 1/2" ID hose will work for the RIO 600. Here's a pic of my setup. My RIO is not the RVT one; it came with a bunch of nifty attachments & one happened to have a venturi thing on it.

CO2_1.jpg

defdac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
Linköping, Sweden

I use ordinary Eheim-hose or whatever hose I have at my disposal. It's nice to be able to twist and bend it to fit wherever one wants.