This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

spray bar vs lilly pipe vs poppy outflow

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by ShadowMac, Jun 3, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:38 AM
    I just increased the size of my filter from an eheim classic 2215 (which was probably running lower flow then it should) to a 2217.

I am VERY happy with the increased flow. I attached it to the spray bar as the surface agitation and spread of flow is very nice with it. downside at the moment is the flow is aimed from back to front in the middle and as the flow slides down the front of the glass it has moved the new aquasoil and made a bit of a hole. Would it be okay if I continue with the spraybar that i slightly close the quick connect on the outflow to slow the flow until the HG grows in more and holds the soil in place? Would having the outflow quick connect slightly closed to restrict flow harm the pump?

Secondly, I just read George Farmer mention he has been using a poppy outflow and likes it for the surface agitation. I had stopped using my poppy with the 2215 as it really slowed circulation around the tank. Maybe that won't be an issue with this new filter. Should I switch to the poppy?

I also have a DOaqua standard outflow (forget what it is called, but it is like the lilly pipe) It does not ripple the surface at all. What do people think about this? I'm not a fan because of the lack of surface agitation with it. I would have to use something for surface agitation and I would like to have as little equipment as possible.

here is a pic, how about suggestions on locations for outflow or spray bar, the sides are not an option due to the wood canopy

[​IMG]
    i am still waiting for some plants, so still a little thin. Staurogyne repens on the left in front of the rocks down to the grass, downoi in the middle in front of the rocks. HM back left or right (haven't decided) and didiplis diandra on the other side opposite the HM

2. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    The lily pipe agitates like a vortex, taking the surface water down like a whirlpool which is good in removing surface scum.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    O2 has been an issue, so that is why I want the surface agitation. My pipe is the DOaqua version, so I dont think the design works the same as the true lilly pipe.

I could continue with the spray bar and top over the powder aquasoil with normal type so it doesn't blow around so easy...

4. GillesF

GillesF Subscriber

Local Time:
    I've tested several types of outflows en personally prefer the spraybar, especially in combination with an inline atomizer (check ebay or GLA). It gives a nice spread of water flow and is easily adjustable. I can for instance create more surface ripple and have a "deeper" flow in the front for the HC. If you think the flow is too strong, you can try making the holes of the spraybar bigger.

I've used a lily pipe before and really liked the looks and effect of it but I had the impression that I only had good waterflow at the back of my tank (where the lily pipe was installed). Imo, it is better to have 2 lily pipes to have good flow in your tank (Amano often does this in his scapes)