Sponge filters on a planted tank?

DannyBoy

Junior Poster
Feb 1, 2012
Hey guys,

I am currently running a nice little 10g planted tank using a 15w flo, a sponge filter and shrimp substrate from fluval. Nice bit of growth, but now I am setting up a 40gXH (36x12x20)

All of my fish buddies think my tank is going to fail because I am planning to use sponge filters, and I will lose all of my CO2 through surface agitation. Thing is that my rainbows really seem to thrive in those conditions. Am I destined to fail with this new tank? Will dosing with Excel help offset this being that it is not a gas?

HARDWARE:

2x39W T5 HO
Miracle Gro Organic Choice + gravel cap
2xSponge filters

FISH:

Threadfin Rainbows
Peacock Gudgeons

PLANTS:

Crypts+Vals from New Guinea

Darkblade48

Guru Class Expert
Dec 16, 2009
I would say get rid of the sponge filters and get a canister filter. With a bit more water movement, your fish will surely do fine, and you will not off gas your CO2 as fast as if you were to use sponge filters.

DannyBoy

Junior Poster
Feb 1, 2012
I could definitely do a cannister. I'm just wondering if Sponge Filters are really as evil as some think, reason being is that in college we used them on our native species tanks. I forget the reasoning, but the oxygen was an important aspect.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

The reason the rainbows like it is they are 02 loving fish.. It really depends on WHAT you plan on keeping in the new tank. A few small fish and anubias/crypts/ferns then sponge filters are fine. A tank full of fish and plants, I would say no, regardless of how many or how large they are.

Remember they provide ROUGH mech filtering but are mostly loved for the bio filtration aspect. This is why we use them for fry so they dont get stuck to the sponges...

DannyBoy

Junior Poster
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the response Gerry. The main purpose of this tank is providing for the Rainbows, the plants are there as a secondary type of thing. The goal is mosses, Val, Crypts, Java Fern, Anubias, Water Sprite and Frogbit. The goal is more for cover and breeding habitat than to compete with some of the amazing tanks I see on here.

Do you guys foresee any potential big issues with those plants?

I was going to do 1'' of Orgainc Choice topped with 1.5'' of gravel but I'm wondering if that's overkill for my goal. Lights will be 2x39w T5HO. I could dim this down and use less soil if there will be too many nutrients for the plants I am planning.