Splashing water on the reflector/asking for suggestions

Signus

Prolific Poster
Lifetime Member
Feb 27, 2007
Silver Springs, Florida
It has been a while since last posting or checking in, so here goes:

After a hiatus on the 29 gallon tank, and doing minimal work with my 10 gallon tank, I've returned to setting up the 29 gallon tank.

The outflow from the Eheim 2213 canister filter would occasionally splash water on the 55w A-H supply CF bulb and reflector. After trying to put a glass tank cover on the tank, I noticed the cover would sag in the center and would eventually break due to pet related stresses or my own carelessness. Should I even worry about the water getting on the bulb and reflector? I've noticed deposits on both the bulb and reflector, so that can't help getting the light into the tank, right?

If putting a tank cover under the light fixture is in order, what do you suggest? Would getting a thicker piece of plexi-glass or normal sheet glass be in order? Where do you find either?

I'm aiming to do an iwagumi tank with a cloud of rummy nose tetras or smaller rasboras, so hopefully the bio load will be very small. The tank will be located in a semi-dark area of the house. Should I even dose CO2 if I want to do crypts and Eloencharis spp?

Thanks a million!

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
You should be able to locate the filter return so it doesn't splash water on the light fixture. I think that needs to be the priority. Splashing water on an electric light isn't a good thing.

Signus

Prolific Poster
Lifetime Member
Feb 27, 2007
Silver Springs, Florida
LOL yea. electricity, water with salts from ferts, and living things don't end up so well.

Should I position it so it flows in a lenthwise manner? Or from front to back?

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know what others do, but when I have one return, I point the flow from one back corner to the middle of the front glass -- this seems to give me the best overall flow. Another thing you might want to consider is trying to lower the return slightly in the water. It's great to have surface movement, but you may be overdoing it if you are getting splashes.

Lastly, you give no details, but those AH lighting setups are very powerful. You may be able to raise the lights slightly, depending on your setup.

Signus

Prolific Poster
Lifetime Member
Feb 27, 2007
Silver Springs, Florida
Made a custom box frame for the light fixture, it's about 5 inches tall, so maybe adding on some "legs" that bring it up a few inches would be in order. And agreed on the strength of the light! Really great products!

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
No something I've ever worried about really. I cleaned my reflectors every couple of weeks.

Your CF setup will more likely be IP67 splashproof where mine was bare wires for 18 months and only just changed it. Never had a problem though:)

AC