Special Kitty and Flourite Black

justin.sterling.scott

Prolific Poster
Mar 17, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
Hello, All.

I am setting up a 30 gallon with a standard foot print and want to do a dry start. I would like to use Special Kitty cat litter and have a few questions regarding this.

I’d like to know if I should mix the litter with anything first. I had planned on putting about 2” in the bottom of the tank, mixed with an appropriate amount of Osmocote and then capping it with about 1” of Flourite Black gravel.

I could add a little peat to the litter, for that organic material requirement. I also have access to a sand and worm casting mixture that I believe has been prepared properly, as well as regular aquarium gravel and washed paving sand.

What are your thoughts?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Justin,

IMO, you may not need the peat. I think the mixture you have is fine... I think Biollante does a lot of kitty litter/osmocoat pairings and I hope will chime in......

Worm castings if done properly may not need anything else but a nice covering layer. I know there is a thread Tom made on worm casting mixtures...

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
What benefit does the combination of kitty litter/osmocote/flourite provide over a top soil with a gravel covering??

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Worm Poop & Kitty Litter

Hi Justin, All,

I use Special Kitty all the time. Soaking it for couple of weeks is a good idea.

I like to mix it 1:1 with boiled worm poop or rich potting soil (boiled).

I tend to spread a thin layer of peat moss over the bottom of the tank, though as Gerry points out that is optional and arguable counters some of the benefit of the kitty litter.

With or without the peat moss lay a layer of Osmocote Plus then the soil/clay mixture (I like 1.5-2 inches (4-5 cm)). Then cap with whatever you wish.

The Osmocote is a slow release fertilizer, the kitty litter; soil combination improves the cation exchange capacity (CEC).

Florite black gravel, I presume is used for the aesthetic benefit as well as to make the mud less troublesome and depending on the plants may improve planting and stability. :)

I usually use inert materials for the cap, though I also have “mud” bottoms, initially mud can be a little troublesome but over time have done well. :cool:

Biollante

justin.sterling.scott

Prolific Poster
Mar 17, 2010
Port Orchard, WA
That's good information, thank you.

You soak the litter for a couple of weeks... what can I expect when I do this? It probably gets pasty or mud like. Is it easy enough to work with in this way?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I think it can make a mess with flourite, I'd just use osmocoat on the bottom + flourite, or go WC's and any clay or organic mix you want to put together, pre soaked good prior to use.

Regards,
Tom Barr