Sources for quality pH probes

PeterGwee

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Hi guys, was wondering if you know of any sites that sells good pH probes (not dried out ones before they were even use) and ships internationally. The experience with those bought locally have been rather bad as non seem to hold the calibration well(reading drifts around). Tom, where did you get yours?

Regards
Peter Gwee

PeterGwee

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Sources for quality pH probes

Rich, thanks for the site. Do you have personal experience in buying from them? Did the probe came in good condition (non-dried up probe head)?

Regards
Peter Gwee

richr

Junior Poster
Jan 20, 2006
Probe and solution look fine

I'm looking at the probe I pointed to in my reply as I write. I haven't put it in use yet and I've had it for a couple of months. The storage solution bottle at the end of the probe (and it is a small bottle, not just an end cap) is still full of solution.

I should be putting it into operation in a few weeks and I'll let you know how easy it is to calibrate.

Detritus Mulm

Guru Class Expert
Jun 12, 2005

What's the best way to clean these things anyway?

I check mine every month or so and notice a very thin circle of black crap between the sensor and the tube. This doesn't seem to be affect the sensor. The gap between the sensor and the tube is too small for a Qtip. So I'm not sure what to use.

richr

Junior Poster
Jan 20, 2006
Calibration

Just installed that Cole-Palmer pH probe. Calibrated pretty easily and as a bonus seems to be affected less by a nearby powerhead than another type of probe I was using.

PeterGwee

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Calibration

richr said:
Just installed that Cole-Palmer pH probe. Calibrated pretty easily and as a bonus seems to be affected less by a nearby powerhead than another type of probe I was using.

Thanks for the info Rich.

Regards
Peter Gwee

magicmagni

Prolific Poster
May 15, 2005
SF Bay Area

Does anyone know what type of PH monitors that this probe is compatable with? I have an American marine type with BNC. Will that work with pretty much any probe with a bnc connector?

Thanks!

vidiots

Prolific Poster
Apr 29, 2006
Wakefield, NH

The Hanna Checker 1 pocket sized pH meter is adequate for aquarium use and is reasonably priced $20-$30 on ebay. The probe lasts for about a year and can be replaced for about $18.

I work in a calibration laboratory and have access to good reference solutions. The meter worked well, up until the probe finally died (the point to where I could nolonger adjust the 2 point calibration to match the buffer solution values).

To be fair I did not use this probe continuously, only periodically to check my pH to make sure it had not changed drasticaly from where I thought it should be, and I calibrated it before every use. I also stored it dry with just the rubber cap over the sensor, and didn't use the recomended storage solution. I went several months of use before I had to make any adjustment after the first couple of calibrations. Durring this time it consistantly read correctly within 0.05 pH between 7.0 and 10.0 even though Hanna specs it at an accuracy of 0.2 pH. It has a resolution of 0.01 pH.

I trusted the reading on this meter more than any of the hobbiest liquid test kits.

My opinion is that even though it is not nearly as good as a good laboratory pH meter, it's great for home use, however I would suggest calibrating it at least once a month to maintain the accuracy I managed to.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

The Milwalkee controllers do not have as much accuracy as this probe or more probes, it's only +,- about .1pH units, the probe is accurate to about 0.01-0.02 or so.

This probe will work, most in line probes are fine.
They need cleaned often, thing of the films that form in tubing.
It'll form on the probe for sure.

You might try a different spot for your probe and also consider adding a grounding probe for the tank and see if you can reduce the interference that way, it'd be much cheaper and simpler solution for continuous monitoring/control.

Regards,
Tom Barr

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca

Tom Barr said:
You might try a different spot for your probe and also consider adding a grounding probe for the tank and see if you can reduce the interference that way, it'd be much cheaper and simpler solution for continuous monitoring/control.

Tom,
I've never seen a ground for an aquarium. Is this purely a home made thing?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Mainly a Marine item. :gw

Reagrds,
Tom Barr

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

I hope no one tries to connect a wire from their electric outlet to the tank water! If I were to try grounding my tank water I think I would get some stainless steel wire and connect it to the steel junction box I use for outlets and timer, and which is grounded, then just stick the wire down into the substrate to hold it in place. But, has anyone tried this and what effects did it have, if any? Highly conductive salt water is not nearly the same as virtually non-conductive fresh water.

vidiots

Prolific Poster
Apr 29, 2006
Wakefield, NH

I recently purchased the Milwaukee SMS 122 pH controller from Automated Aquarium Systems along with a bunch of other goodies. I've only had it in use for about 2 weeks. So far I am pleased with it. I haven't really played with the accuracy on this unit much yet. Just roughly adjusted it to read relatively close and hooked it up to give it a try. I figure I'm gonna have to check it periodically anyway reguardless how well I fine tune it. It seems to have a fairly stable reading and holds the pH within ±0.1 of the set point.

The book that came with it recommended that you calibrate it only at 7.0 since that is where it will be used, and suggests that the probe may last longer.

I am not really looking at this one for the pH measuring, just controlling, however, I'll probably play around with the accuracy anyway just out of curiousity.

Don't know about hooking up the Hanna sensor to the Milwaukee meter. You'd need to know more about the output voltages of the Hanna & Milwaukee probes to verify that they are in the same ball park.