Source for plants, equipment in central MI

DMills

Junior Poster
Apr 26, 2005
Can anyone recommend a good local source for plants, substrate etc. in Detroit/Lansing/Ann Arbor MI area? The big box stores will sell blue or orange gravel, and that's about the extent of it.

I'm looking for substrate and decent plants for a tank re-do.

Thanks, D.

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005
Re: Source for plants, equipment in central MI

You're better off getting plants from local hobbyists or forums such as this one or aquabotanic.com or apc. As for substrate, shipping can be a real deterrant for substrates but look around for turface or soilmaster. Someone may have it locally (gardening centers, landscaping centers).

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I would suggest: ADA soil(50$), SM(17-18$) or plain old sand(8$), 30 grit, 2-3mm size. Sandblasting sand etc works well, they sell it at the cement places etc.

Notr: you do get what you pay for and you can grow things without spending $$, but I think it's worth it to most to justify the ADa soil.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005

ADA soil takes too long to get :( Not enough distributorships in the U.S. and none of the East coast to my knowledge.

DMills

Junior Poster
Apr 26, 2005

Sorry, Tom, what's ADA soil?

I have looked high and low around here for Turface or Soilmaster and this time of year it's just impossible to find.

How about Aquatic Plant Soil - fuller's earth? I found some of this at one of the higher end garden centers around here. It's not Laterite, but it is a pH neutral non-disintegrating clay. Will this stuff provide much in the way of minerals for the plants, or is it really just an inert substrate like sand, but won't compact like sand?

OK Simpte - Anybody want to help out with some plant donations? I'll happily pay some postage.

D.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

DMills said:
Sorry, Tom, what's ADA soil?

I have looked high and low around here for Turface or Soilmaster and this time of year it's just impossible to find.

OK Simpte - Anybody want to help out with some plant donations? I'll happily pay some postage.

D.
Go to the Lesco website (http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=083365) and enter your zip code to find a dealer nearest to you, where you can have a bag of Soilmaster sent for pick up with no shipping charge.

I will be trimming my watersprite, stargrass, and h. diformis in a few days. Do you want some of any of them? The stargrass doesn't ship very well, but the others do.

DMills

Junior Poster
Apr 26, 2005

VaughnH - Thanks for the tip. I'll get ahold of the Lesco folks. I called a few places around here and didn't get much of an answer or even any knowledge of the SM product.

As for the plants - I'd appreciate them. Will they be OK to ship or will they be plant-cicles by the time they get to me. It was 18° here this morning.

D.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Well, the ADA soil is on back order but Jeff at ADG should be getting a bunch in, you might call Aqua Forest in SF, they also will ship.

Lesco is fairly good, I brought 8 bags for our club here, they are all gone:)
It looks good.

Most are very happy with it and for the cost, it's nearly impossible to beat.
It's every much as good as ECO Complete except for the dust and rinsing requirement.

Regards,
Tom Barr

DMills

Junior Poster
Apr 26, 2005

I picked up two bags of SM red at my local Lesco store. $15 for 50 lbs. VaughnH has supplied me with a very nice water sprite specimen. Now all that's left is to do the tear down and get the substrate in.

Thanks for the tips.

D.