Some Older/lower Leaves Turn Black

kizwan

Aug 17, 2019
Kedah, Malaysia
Hello,

My tank experiencing high temp around 34C around 2 months ago. It is now under control. Temp have never go above 30C since then. When temp spike, many of the leaves turn black. It is like a layer of black layer that is not easily scrape off. I noticed since temp is under control, the new leaves are all green & the black layer on the older leaves scrape off a little. Maybe silver flying fox nible on it. However the black layer come back to the older leaves & it thicken. I dose macro & micro twice a week - Aquaforest AF Macro & Seachem Flourish. May I know what is the cause of black layer on the leaves?

Java fern
IMG_20210508_102005.jpg

Ludwigia Sp. 'Dark Orange'
IMG_20210508_104208.jpg

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
It is a type of red algae, similar to BBA. Similar treatments as those for BBA will work. Luckily it grows relatively slow so removal of old leaves completely , coupled with increased maintenance is a good approach.

Reactions: kizwan

kizwan

Aug 17, 2019
Kedah, Malaysia
I have silver flying fox, corydoras & Thailand ghost shrimp in the tank. Most likely going "manual" way dealing with this red algae because I don't know whether my fish & shrimp can handle hydrogen peroxide. I actually suspected BBA or algae of the same kind (red algae) but they look different. Thank you for confirming that. Silver flying fox seems eating it a little. I have been feeding SFF with blanched zucchini everyday. I will cut that to every 3-4 days, to see if they'll eat that algae.