This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Some of my HC is dying after 1 week of DSM

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by bill321, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bill321

bill321 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:29 PM
    Hello all,

This is my first time trying to grow HC and certainly my first time trying a DSM.

I planted my HC exactly 1 week ago and have kept it moist by spraying with water from another tank every day. I have a piece of plexi-glass on the top that makes a good seal and most of the time I can't see the HC clearly because of all the condensation on the glass.

I have been running my lights like this:
    The lights hang about 3 inches above the plexi-glass and then the substrate is about ~15 inches below that. Two of the 24w T5HO bulbs come on at 8am, then the other two bulbs come on at 12 noon until 3pm, and then the original two bulbs turn off at 6pm. So that is a total of 10 hours of light with a 3 hr burst in the mid-day.

Most of the HC seems to be doing well and some of the "branches" even seem to be spreading. I say this because when I planted it none of the clumps were touching and now some of them are. But I have about 3 or 4 clumps that seem to be turning mushy brown and dying. They are certainly not drying out.

[​IMG]

They are planted in about a 1/2" of Amazonia II powder which sits on top of a 2" layer of regular AmaozniaII.

Should I be concerned about this? Am I doing something wrong? Are they too wet? I don't want to find all my HC looking like this in a few more days.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by this n00bie.

Thanks !

Bill321

#1 bill321, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  2. csmith

csmith Guest

Local Time:
    6:29 PM
    Hey Bill,

It's really wet. Pop the top for 10-20 minutes, this dry Colorado air will dry the substrate out in no time. I did this 3 days ago on accident adding new plants and it made a world of difference. Keep the plants moist, not the dirt. It takes a while to get the DSM thing down. Check out post #6 here, that shows you where my water level is.

3. bill321

bill321 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:29 PM
    Thanks for the tip !

It has gotten worse since I first posted the photo.
    So I removed the dying plants and I am leaving the top off for a while to dry it out in there a bit.
    I hope this turns around and all my HC doesn't turn to mush :)

Bill321