Some new pics of the 70 Gallon Buce tank with the Canon 5D

DukeNJ

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 18, 2009
That's a lot of Buce. Looks great.

What parameters to they prefer Tom. I have a few in high-light, CO2 tanks and they aren't doing well. The only plants that aren't doing well. They're in 100-120 PAR according to Hoppy's meter.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
They are at 200+ at the top, while other spots are only at maybe 20-30 umols.
I moved all the white Anubias up to the top, they do best there.

Water changes, add ferts, good CO2, algae eaters(better them than you), and high plant biomass. The tank languished for 1 month, then everything settled after the new redo mostly for new sediment root formation and bacterial layers to form again.
EI dosing these days after starting at 1/2 that amount prior.

I dose macros 2x a week, then traces most days.

Not much else, big water changes mostly.
But I've gone a month without one without much issue. Still, I prefer to stay on top of things for obvious $$$ cost reasons for the plants.

DukeNJ

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah, that would be an expensive crash. Good to know 120par is fine. Tank is new aquasoil, but maybe they need ferts in the water column.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This is all old ADA AS..............2+ years etc.

edwardsmith

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 24, 2015
Looks beautiful, but the thread title is deceiving.....it states "pics" (plural) . I want more! :p

marcecrisco

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2016
Poland
Hello Tom,

It is quite Loooooooooooong time without update:)

How this tank is going now? What amount and types of lighting bulbs you use for in this tank? What is the lamp height above water?

You use additional pumps for better circulation (liked by rheotypes)?

Thank in advance for the information

Ligyron

Mar 12, 2016
Hey Tom, long time no see.

I have never seen so many Buce in one place!

I'm getting back into planted tanks again after many years being absent. You may or may not recall that the multiple hurricanes that one year here in south Florida destroyed my entire collection of plants and Rainbow Fish and I let myself get disgusted and quit. Until now that is.

Starting from scratch here, don't even have plants yet

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Here ya go, 2 days ago. CO2 has been out, those lower voltage solenoids fail a lot more than the old school 120v burkerts.

marcecrisco

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2016
Poland
Tom Barr said:

Do you reduced light intensity/colour? The photo from the top of this page looks brighter and whiter (I quotted this)

For me the buce now looks much better than under the more intense lights, the blue colour on leaves is significantly better visible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I used different bulbs, 2 fewer and less light, I did not adjust the light up to 100% on the ATI fixture for the 2nd pic, I had only 6 instead of 8 bulbs and ran them at 35% when the pic was taken the second time. One pic used the Canon 5D, the other used a G12, a quick point and shoot.

marcecrisco

Junior Poster
Feb 16, 2016
Poland
Tom Barr said:
I used different bulbs, 2 fewer and less light, I did not adjust the light up to 100% on the ATI fixture for the 2nd pic, I had only 6 instead of 8 bulbs and ran them at 35% when the pic was taken the second time. One pic used the Canon 5D, the other used a G12, a quick point and shoot.
I assumed that You normally use the 6 bulbs at 100% ?. This is roughly about 1W/Liter, However the lamps is quite heigh above the tank and the light not to strong.

Did You noted the faster buce growth when you start using higher ferts dose? (When this tank was starting You mention on 1/2 EI dose, on FB you mention that present dose is about 2-3 times higher)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Light is about 35-45umol along the tops of the plants in the sediment. But that was prior to adding the plants to the wood. Top of the water, about 130-180, this is about the same as a standard ADA tank system set up. There is a 1 hour ramp up and ramp down also.

Increased ferts and lower light produced better long term growth, colors are not so dark with the B catherine, but the growth is cleaner, better development. I get more out of using less light basically. Reduced algae. More robust tank. Easier to target CO2, less fish stress, more fish breeding etc.