Solenoid valve placement?

magicmagni

Prolific Poster
May 15, 2005
SF Bay Area
I don't think that it would matter, but I want to use a solenoid valve after a needle valve. I understand the conventionally one would run it before and while that is a possibility it would be less work, and cleaner to run it after the valve.

So has tried this before or know a reason why it would not be a good idea to do this?

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Solenoid valve placement?

i just received shipment of an inline solenoid today.have eheim regulator and no other way to install a solenoid.btw this regulator has been in service for four years and has operated flawlessly.but now i want use the mist idea and need a way to shut off co2 and also to save on gas.i'll let you know how things work out. regards,cornhusker :) :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

There are 2-4 reasons why not to do this.

The needle valve can leak and be jarred by the pressure changes.
You cannot control other tanks if you use more than one needle valve without adding individual solenoids as well.

One solenoid right after the regulator will control all the subsequent needel valves that you may have, not an issue if you only have one CO2 enriched planted tank.

The other reason is that unless the system is hard plumbed with copper/brass etc piping that will not leak at all, the CO2 tubing used to connect the needle valve to the solenoid will also leak out a lot more CO2 than normal since it's always under pressure.

I hard pipe my solenoids to the regulator, then add needle valves directly from this. This reduces the pressure and the jarring on the needle valves and CO2 lines.

I've done what you are thinking about, but mainly with yeast DIY set ups and I use the open function to vent off and stop CO2, rather than add it with the DIY set up.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

Magicmagni,most co2 setups nowadays come with regulator,solenoid,and needle valve.this is best. the eheim i have is my first setup for press. co2. did not know any better,(very expensive at the time).it has a connection adapter,(german to usa) gas bottle.it would be a kobbled job to try to set a solenoid between regulator and bottle.therefore someone told me of an inline solenoid that would serve my purpose.so far its working good,only time will tell. regards,cornhusker :) :)

magicmagni

Prolific Poster
May 15, 2005
SF Bay Area

Thanks for the replies.

I actually have one of those JBJ all in ones on my 120gallon. Nice setup, but this one I'm referring to here is a little project that I am working on for a 10 gallon tank. It's running 24/7, but I really need to get the solenoid on there as not to waste the Co2 at night especially since I don't have the luxury of a 5lbs Co2 tank for this one.

Those are good points Tom.

Where's a good place to get the hardware then to go from my regulator to the solenoid. This is the regulator I am using. Are most solenoids also 3/8"?

http://www.lelandltd.com/products/reg_spec.html

matpat

Prolific Poster
Mar 29, 2005
Dayton, Ohio

When I converted my beverage regulator to aquarium use, I just made a trip to my local welding store. They were very helpful and had the 1/4" to 1/8" reducer I needed. I would imagine they would have a 3/8" to 1/4" reducers and 1/4" to 1/8" reducers in stock. They were cheap by the way, les than $1.

magicmagni

Prolific Poster
May 15, 2005
SF Bay Area

Right on! I actually found a source online that had everything I needed in one shot without a lot of fuss and really good prices so I think I'm set. I'll have to post some pics of the setup when it is complete.

srozell

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

magicmagni said:
Right on! I actually found a source online that had everything I needed in one shot without a lot of fuss and really good prices so I think I'm set. I'll have to post some pics of the setup when it is complete.

Post the source too please! It could be one we've missed!

magicmagni

Prolific Poster
May 15, 2005
SF Bay Area

I have been working with Rex Grigg on this one. I'm sure a lot of folks know him. He is on planted tank forums and can get pretty much get anything Co2 related and will even assemble the whole rig for you. He does those DIY in-line reactors as well for people I understand.

his site:

http://rexgrigg.com/./sale.html