This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Solenoid Stuck Open

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by scottward, Oct 12, 2009.

1. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    7:06 PM
    Hi. This morning I noticed CO2 bubbling through my bubble counter, even though the CO2 wasn't meant to switch on until later in the day. I disconnected the CO2 solenoid from the power, waited a few minutes, and the CO2 is still bubbling through at the usual rate...

So, the solenoid is stuck in the open position.

It is a Red Sea solenoid and I have had it for about 18 months. It has been working perfectly until now.

I am hoping that there is some way that I can fix it, perhaps I can open it up and inspect the parts inside? Maybe something is just stuck?

Help! :eek:

Scott.

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Take the solenoid apart and clean it very well; if it has a rubber diaphragm on it pay close attention to that part, and inspect it for damage. I've had solenoids leak on me before and it isn't fun. Fixing them is a matter of close inspection.

-Philosophos

3. scottward

Local Time:
    Ah ok - so it's possible that mechanically it is working but may just have a leak in an internal diaphragm (if it has a diaphragm)? Hopefully this would be a spare part that I can get from Red Sea if it has worn out.

I actually thought it would be a purely mechanical thing, with no parts that can wear out.

Hopefully I can open the thing up?

Scott.

4. scottward

Local Time:
    Fixed!

I was able to loosen a nut on one side of the solenoid and slide the assembly out of the casing. I was then able to open the assembly up and examine it. There was some gunk built up at one end which I thoroughly cleaned. After reassembling it it worked again.

Just thought I would share this in case anybody else comes across this thread down the track and needs some help.

Scott.