Solenoid problem

ilaizm

Junior Poster
Feb 23, 2009
I have a pressurized CO2 system which has been running for a month. I have a solenoid which is attached to a timer and is set to switch on and off with the lights. Yesterday it switched off normally but today it didn't switch on. I plugged in the solenoid directly to the electricity skipping the timer to make sure the timer wasn't the problem but it still didn't switch on. I'm assuming there is a problem with the solenoid. I emailed the company where I bought if from. In the mean time is there anything I can try doing?

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Take it apart and poke around. Solenoids aren't very complex. Here's a video to get you primed if you like: YouTube - Solenoid Valve How It Works
They don't all look exactly the same inside, but they don't look too different, either.

If nothing looks wrong, it might be a short in the cord. Try a different outlet, as well. If the timer has battery backup, the outlet could be shot and you wouldn't know about it for a while.

-Philosophos

TheKillHaa

Prolific Poster
Oct 31, 2007
what type of solenid you have??
i have several that usually comes with milwauakee or aqmagic system sold in ebay, even is a moderate good solenoid, i have a malfunction over working with them for longer periods.

Co2 is very abrasive and acidic, this means that some fatigue of materials are increase, (most Co2 systems have only a warranty of 6 months at most), what i did when hapen the same as you, was to unscrew the 4 bolts under. separate the both halves and put some WD-40 on the spigot, (to lubricate the system), i close everything up and i still have solenoid since then ;)

saludos!