This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Solenoid problem

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by ilaizm, May 4, 2009.

1. ilaizm

ilaizm Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:16 AM
    I have a pressurized CO2 system which has been running for a month. I have a solenoid which is attached to a timer and is set to switch on and off with the lights. Yesterday it switched off normally but today it didn't switch on. I plugged in the solenoid directly to the electricity skipping the timer to make sure the timer wasn't the problem but it still didn't switch on. I'm assuming there is a problem with the solenoid. I emailed the company where I bought if from. In the mean time is there anything I can try doing?

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Take it apart and poke around. Solenoids aren't very complex. Here's a video to get you primed if you like: YouTube - Solenoid Valve How It Works
    They don't all look exactly the same inside, but they don't look too different, either.

If nothing looks wrong, it might be a short in the cord. Try a different outlet, as well. If the timer has battery backup, the outlet could be shot and you wouldn't know about it for a while.

-Philosophos

3. TheKillHaa

TheKillHaa Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    what type of solenid you have??
    i have several that usually comes with milwauakee or aqmagic system sold in ebay, even is a moderate good solenoid, i have a malfunction over working with them for longer periods.

Co2 is very abrasive and acidic, this means that some fatigue of materials are increase, (most Co2 systems have only a warranty of 6 months at most), what i did when hapen the same as you, was to unscrew the 4 bolts under. separate the both halves and put some WD-40 on the spigot, (to lubricate the system), i close everything up and i still have solenoid since then ;)

saludos!