This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Soil to mix with turface or Soilmaster?

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by Noledoc, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    11:45 PM
    Folks,
    Is there a comprehensive post here on soil substrate? If so please direct me. If not, exactly what can I ask my local plant place for regarding soil for a planted tank? I plan to mix in Soilmaster or turf ace and perhaps cover those layers with pea gravel. Words of wisdom? My main question is about the soil. Type, things to avoid, etc.
    Many thanks
    Paul

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

Not sure there is a single post that would cover the topic...I think a search on several of the forums will yield some decent results...

I know Tom posted a nice thread not too long ago discussing mineralized top soil and maybe you can look for that one.

I personally would search the forums and take some time reviewing various threads... For a subject as complex as substrate can be, I would not expect for all of my questions to be answered in on post/thread...

I have no personal experience so cannot advise you otherwise..Sorry.

3. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    IMO, a good substrate is like an investment - if one invests on a high quality substrate, that person will most likely enjoy the reward of beautiful healthy plants.

4. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Gerry, thanks. I'll give a few of the other sites a close look.

5. Noledoc

Noledoc Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I appreciate your metaphor but would you have any specific advice?