This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Sodium And Hard Water

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dav.tomassini, May 3, 2020.

1. dav.tomassini

dav.tomassini New Member

Local Time:
    5:42 AM
    Hi there,

(I am new here, so forgive me if I do something wrong in this blog - happy to get suggestions if/as needed)

I would like to share with you my situation. The sodium in my tap water is under the spotlight, togethet with my hard water.

Let me introduce my tank first:
    - 120 liters (Juwel Rio 125)
    - eheim professional 4 350T canister packed with high quality bio media. Very good water flow
    - prefilter booster EF2 from all ponds solutions for mechanical filtration
    - 3 Helialux spectrum led bars (dimmed at low light, capable to provide together high light at full power)
    - Liquid carbon with perilstalric pump dosed at 1.5x recomended dose
    - Pressurised CO2 with Aquamedic 1000 reactor, not used at present (i.e. by-passed). I want first to experiment with liquid carbon and lights intensity to see how far where I can get
    - Ada aquasoil substrate
    - Easy growing plants, medium plant density. I will let it grow to high plants density. Currently they are doing fine, but my the aquarium has been rescaped only 3 weeks ago from scratch
    - medium amount of fauna, easy fish
    - I have RO system, but I do not use it now, I want first to get the most out of my tap water
    - My tap water has both GH and KH around 10 German degrees with ph 8.4. Around 40 ppm Ca and 8 ppm Mg and 3 ppm K. But my tap water has also 60 ppm sodium!
    -
    I do 60% weekly water changes weekly
    - I dose a bit of macros and micros to keep it lean at about 10 ppm NO3, 0.2 ppm PO4, 10 ppm K and 0.2 ppm Fe. I do not use profession test kits, so this is just an estimation of the reality

Probably you are thinking this guy must have come from a non satisfactory high tec tank. You are somehow right! After 2 years of ups and downs with an high tech tank, I want now to start it again from a low tech, moving gradually and carefully up only when the results are fully satisfactory.

So, my first concern now is the sodium. My second concern is the hard water. My third concern is whether the sodium in combination with the hardwater makes it even more difficult to provide plants with the nutrition they need.

I am not an expert in this fiels, but I think that sodium competes primarily with potassium. Should I raise potassium levels above sodium level? If so, should I rause a bit calcium and magnesium levels as well? I think that potassium, maybe also sodium, may also compete with calcium and magnesium and in general with all cations.

What about phosporus and even more iron? I read that they are less available to plants in hardwater and basic PH. Same for Borom and other traces, right?

In summary, how would you adjust the water column fertilisation to best cope with my water parameters?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
    Davide from The Netherlands

Tags: