This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Snails???

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by mstasa, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mstasa

mstasa Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:49 PM
    Hi i have a question not regarding plants but about how to keep snails in my 10 gallon rimless planted aquarium. I was wondering whether i would be able to put a thin layer of vasiline around the inside of the top of the tank. would this prevent them from sticking to the glass here. Please any help would be appreciated.

2. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi!

First, forget the vasolene.

Then, figure out why the snails are trying to escape.

Some - "mystery" snails - lay there eggs outside of the water. Are your snails that kind? Mystery Snails

Also, snails react to bad water quality by trying to escape escape it. Is your water OK?

Keep us informed.

Bill

3. mstasa

mstasa Junior Poster

Local Time:
    The snails are the snails that one gets when buying aquarium plants from the pet store. The water is brand new. no chlorine, just some plant ferts

4. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'd guess that they are going through some kind of adjustment process.

Are all of the snails doing trying to escape, or just some?

Frankly, I've never seen snails try to escape. Even with bad water they stay at or near the water line.

If everything else is OK, I'd say that if they want to leave, let them!

Good luck.

Bill