This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Snails..

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by zchauvin, Jul 9, 2018.

1. zchauvin

zchauvin Member

Local Time:
    10:35 PM
    So my tank is about two months old. I added some plants and ended up buying from a hobbyist and have more snails than anything else now. I'm going to completely take apart the tank, clean it out and throw all substrate. My question is when it comes to my filtration.

Should I clean it in water/bleach or let it dry out and start from scratch, or should I be ok to keep it running. My worry is snails or eggs that would have contaminated the filter media.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. LRJ

LRJ Subscriber

Local Time:
    11:35 PM
    When I clean my filters, there are usually some snails that have made it into the media. I imagine this is pretty common, so to completely get of them, I imagine you will need to clean the filter too. But, that's a lot of effort to get rid of some snails. Is there a particular reason you don't want them? Many hobbyists like having them in the tank. You might want to consider just letting them stay. If they're overpopulating, there's likely an excess food supply, and that can be controlled.

3. zchauvin

zchauvin Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, I figured this would be the case. I really just dont like them and dont want them in my tank. When cleaning media to kill off any snails, what is the best option?

4. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    5:35 AM
    H2O2 (wear gloves at least) or just dry out for long periods of time. In my opinion you can also get rid of snails if you get some assassin snails combined with active crushing of any you see. High levels of CO2 and soft water ( low KH) will also kill them in time.

5. zchauvin

zchauvin Member

Local Time:
    Thank you, I try to remove what I can manually and do have high co2 with pure RO/DI and amazonia so soft water. It started with only very few smaller ones now I see one or two larger here and there. Not a ton by any means but I just dont like them.