This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Snails - Calcium Deficiency?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by BAST10N, Jan 19, 2015.

1. BAST10N

BAST10N Junior Poster

Local Time:
    9:58 AM
    My Nerite snail's shells are flaking / chipping away. I have done a little bit of digging into this and it sounds like they may have a calcium deficiency.

My city water is very hard, so we have a whole house soft water system. I was using 100% RO water in my tanks. When I started to notice the shells chipping I changed the water to 50% RO 50% tap (the soft water).

I read that the Vacation fish food (looks like white chalk) has a high amount of calcium and is one way to supplement. I have been giving them a 2-3 day feeder disk once a week for about 3 weeks and am continuing to see shell deterioration. Nerite snails are hard to come by in my neck of the woods and I'd like to keep them around for as long as possible.

Does anyone have any advise for me?

1) is there a way for me to add the minerals I need to the RO water?

2) is there some other form of supplement I could use.

2. ltb420

ltb420 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Try to add some GH booster like Seachem equilibrium, that should raise your calcium and magnesium. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you should use softened water for your fish tank. you can do a 50/50 mix of RO to tap but try to get it from an outside spigot before the water softener.

3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    1:58 AM
    Not necessary but some fish like discus like the soft acidic water.. I wouldn't go sachem equilibrium, I use it myself, however people say mixed things about it. Salty shrimp gh booster is one not bashed or trashed on..

4. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    My ph is about 6. Last time I had a nerite snail it lasted about a week and its shell got pits and then it immediately died. I think they don't do well below 6.5.

5. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    1:58 AM
    All you need is a remineralizer and your good. Seachem will do fine..if nerites all you worried about

6. Gilby

Gilby Junior Poster

Local Time:
    It depends on what water chemistry you want. A water softener replaces calcium and magnesium with either sodium or potassium, depending on what type of salt you use. Many say sodium is bad for plants. Potassium is good, but that salt currently costs about 4 times as much around here.

7. Gilby

Gilby Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I've only had nerite snails survive in my non-co2 tanks, and both my co2 and non-co2 tanks were with hard water.

8. BAST10N

BAST10N Junior Poster

Local Time:
    there isn't a single retailer in my metro area that carries seachem equilibrium or salty shrimp gh booster. I was able to find seachem flourish. Will this work?

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    aquariumfertilizer.com shipped anywhere. GH booster.

FYI, this has nothing to do with water chemistry, snails have a protective layer that live in FW, if something hits that layer and allows a hole in it, then it'll decay, it'll decay faster with CO2.

Adding Ca++ to the water will do nothing to help snails' shell. Snails get banged around a lot in shipping etc, not something that occurs in nature much eh?

10. BAST10N

BAST10N Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Tom, thanks for chiming in.

If I'm understanding you correctly. You are saying that once a snails protective layer is compromised. There really isn't a way to stop or reverse the decay.

Basically: A rock chips the paint on my car exposing the base metal. That opens the door for rust to set in.

11. jipan

jipan New Member

Local Time:
    3:58 PM
    Can you use resins on the hole to patch it? I saw on the Google how some people with corroded snails shell patch them with resins. I had no idea what kind though.