Small, Outgoing Fish for Nano

EllenOC

Junior Poster
Feb 20, 2009
I've been reading posts about how the Galaxy Rasboras hide a lot and wonder if those of you with experience with some of the varieties of very small fish would identify those that are the opposite. I'm setting up 7-gallon minibow and would like to get small (approx. 1") fish that are NOT hiders. I have another small tank with neons and am delighted with them. They're friendly little creatures, coming right up to the front glass hoping for food whenever they see me. I'd like to try another small schooling fish in the minibow and wonder what Ember Tetras are like and some of the other varieties of small rasboras.

My own experience has been that cardinals are hiders. Glowlights, Black Neons, Blue Tetras, and White Clouds are not shy (but bigger than I want now). Thanks for any info.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

How about one of the lamp eye species or the pygmy cory hastatus? The cory is a mid level swimmer in this species.

A small school 6-8 or zebra or leapord danios will also provide an active display, although they are surface fish...................

EllenOC

Junior Poster
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. When I looked up lamp eye, I came up with a small tetra that's pretty plain but with big blue eyes? What I'm looking for is something brighter like the neons, where you can see the flash in the tank as they move even from across the room. I have some pygmy corys and while they're cute as can be, they don't stand out in the planted tank much either. And mine, at least (pygmies), spend most of their time out of sight.

lampeye

Junior Poster
Feb 24, 2009
There are some tetras that have recently been tagged with the name "lampeye," but they are not true lampeyes. True lampeyes are killies in the genera Poropanchax, Aplocheilichthys, Lacustricola, Procatopus, and other related genera.

Any of Poropanchax species would do well in your setup, and are more or less exactly what you're looking for. The highly reflective eyes (not bioluminescent, despite the brightness) that give them their name are many times brighter than a neon or cardinals stripe. They're great-looking fish, but no photo can really do the eyes justice.

My favorite tank was a 4-footer containing one piece of drifwood, no plants, and about 50 P. normani (the hardiest and most commonly available species). The tank had a black background, and the effect was nothing short of stunning.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You might want to look at pencil fish also. Mine hang out together quite a bit, forming a very synchronized school, at least for short periods. They have interesting personalities. There are several types of pencils -- as far as I know, most of them stay small. My marginatus (black and white, with little red spots here and there) are only about 1" long, and they are well fed and over a year old. So, they would be a good fit for a small tank. The marginatus are not super-colorful, but some species of pencils have more color.

By the way, my cardinals scatter temporarily when I walk into the room, but they are usually right back out a few seconds later, once they realize I'm not going to eat them. :rolleyes: It's tough to beat cardinals for color in a small fish. However, mine being 2" or more at this point, may mean that cardinals are a little big for your setup.

uncleddie

Junior Poster
Dec 23, 2009
South Carolina near Charlotte, NC
I have a 7 gallon mini-bow and found these to be outstanding. I believe they are one of the world's smallest live-bearers and native to the SE USA. Though I have become a proficient algae grower and have had to start over 4 times, (this site is now getting me going in the right direction), these guys have survived it all. Also tolerate high CO2. I can't say enough, but I am partial to natives. They are live-bearers so over time you'll have a bunch.

Heterandria formosa

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
embers

My cardinals have pretty much been cowards unless I have a larger school but the embers have been out and about even in a group of 6. They may be better even in smaller groups.

For color the cardinals are hard to beat. You could also try glolite tetras. They are also striking in the right lighting and don't seem too cowardly. Right now ilve got a bunch of embers and cardinals and a couple glolites in a 45 with some discus. They just don"t care what goes on unless I rush by the tank, and then they're right back out.

-
S

EMc/

Junior Poster
Apr 25, 2007
Boraras merah are colorful small fish. A small school would fit well in a nano tank:

Boraras_merah.JPG

fjf888

Guru Class Expert
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Virginia
I like Rasbora Hengeli or Rasbora Espei (Hengel's Rasbora) (Pork Chop Rasbora) (Glowlight Rasbora). I have a school of 10 in my 6 gallon, they are lively, active and not shy.

Espei.jpg