Small fish eater?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

I have platies in my display and quarantine tanks.

I like them a lot, but they have a lot of fry.

A few too many of them are making it and I am running out of friends to take them..they like to grow up in my wiers :)

This may seem strange but here goes.......

Is there something like a half beak that would be non-agressive to my cards but pick off most of the platy fry? I already have enough juvies that will soon be adults, so will soon have way too many......

Issue also are that platy fry do not stay at the surface much, so cannot use butterfly fish or other surface feeders.

I would also like for it to stay on the small side and be able to feed it other live or prepared foods if the fry are not as numerous....

Any suggestions are welcome.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I guess your pencil fish aren't eating them, huh? My pencil fish have a field day with my galaxy rasbora fry -- platy fry must be bigger or something. I actually thought that my larger cardinals were also eating my fry.

One sure way to keep the fry under control is to get one zebra danio. I had a couple of zebras for a while, but they were too ravenous for my liking. It was tough to feed my other fish without the zebras getting all of the food. When I decided to get rid of the zebras, catching them was a nightmare!

This is a good question ... I'll do some internet research and perhaps edit this reply.

Edit: OK, I give up ... not much info out there on this topic, except that angel fish are very good fry hunters.