This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Slime Takes Over Broad Leaves

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Kathy328i, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Kathy328i

Kathy328i Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    10:33 PM
    I've been working on this problem for over a year. I have a 36" Tall 30 gallon aquarium. One Kessill 160W light that's on 7 hours per day. The new broad leaves start off clean and then over weeks dots and slime appears. The 8" thin grass like plants have no problem. I've learned the hard way that this is a low light environment.

The growth of the plants seem to indicate a good balance of NPK. I use 50:50 hard water:RO. The tetras, otos and amano shrimp are happy.

Many years ago I added erythromycin and that solved the problem but now i have shrimp and otos which might not like it. Any suggestions? DSCN1609 slime.jpg

2. Joao

Joao New Member

Local Time:
    Isn´t a 160 W light too much for your tank?

3. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Can you post some pics of your tank and maybe provide some info on the species of plants effected.

4. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:33 PM
    Those LEDs look nice, but are you running CO2? I run 17 watts on my little 20g, granted this isn’t a measurement of PAR. Easy experiment, turn the Kessil down to 30% for a few weeks and see what happens. The plant is not healthy right now.

Tags: