This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

slight algae problem

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by tedr108, Mar 8, 2008.

1. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    1:01 PM
    Overall, I have very little algae in my tank. However, a couple of areas are causing me problems and I am not sure how to deal with them.

I currently have staghorn algae in my java moss (with a wee bit of thread algae occasionally that is easy to deal with) -- the java moss is growing well otherwise. The staghorn seems to grow from and latch on to the main stems of my java moss deep within the growth. I can't really pull it out effectively, since the staghorn holds on tight and I end up removing good java moss growth along with the algae. I'm sure that I'm getting enough CO2 and nitrates, but I'll keep working with that. Please let me know what could cause this problem. I believe that part of the problem may be too strong of lighting on the moss -- I am working on ways to reduce the lighting, since moss needs very little.

I will make adjustments as necessary, but my main question is how to deal with this issue on the current java moss plant. Is the java moss a lost cause? Christmas moss in the same tank is not having this issue yet, but it is not near as grown in as the java moss. If I get the parameters (CO2, nitrates, light) right, will the algae simply disappear from the java moss? Or must it be manually removed?

Another place where I'm getting staghorn algae is whenever I trim my ground cover (glosso, dwarf hair grass) down to ground level. The staghorn grows from the chopped off areas.

Other than that, I am pretty much algae free at this point. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.