This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Site Software - Have your say - feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Site Related' started by Jason King, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    9:14 AM
    Hi All

My Job as an admin is to make sure you are happy and that things work as they are supposed to.

I get a lot of emails on a daily basis, most are about registration but some are about the sites software, vbulletin 5

Ive created this thread as I would like to hear your feedback, your views and if you see any bugs, things that done work etc.

So please post your feedback, report bugs.

Thanks for listening

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    The forums desperately needs to be organized; they are not arranged in any manner. Some forums can be consolidated. The green color and the cartoony "The Barr Report" font doesn't espouse authority/seriousness.

3. Marcel G

Marcel G Banned

Local Time:
    Let me put in my two cents: I would somehow change the color/background-color on the homepage as all the threads and headings just blend into one solid block, and it's hard to quickly find the right heading. For example, if you want to quickly move to "Barr Report Newsletter" area, it's hard to notice where "Members Only Exclusive Access" block starts. It could help if you somehow highlight each blok (maybe use different color or background).

4. Jason King

Local Time:
    Our first thing was to concertrate on the spam and so far so good, once this was sorted our next stage was the design, layout etc.

The Logo design will be changed soon.

A while back Myself and Tom spoke about a logo competition for the forum members.

For example the winner would get a lifetime membership or if they are already a member maybe Tom will donate some plants :D

So if anyone is interested in and is a graphic designer please go ahead and show us your skills :)

Organisation of the forums are how they have been for many years but sure if Tom is happy to let us change this, I am more than happy to do this.

Out of interest how would you organise them.

Thanks for your feedback.

5. Jason King

Local Time:
    Can I ask what browser you use, is it the desktop or mobile theme?

6. Jason King

Local Time:
    Out of interest do you like vbulletin 5? Maybe.. In the future would you prefer xenforo forum software.

7. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Forums to consider consolidation:

EI + Aquatic Plant Fertilization

Fish + Shrimp

Aquatic Plant History + General Plant Topics

Some forums have odd separations, e.g.:

CO2 Enrichment

Lighting

Non-CO2 Methods

It would be better if a general forum about "carbon" be created which contains CO2 + Non-CO2.

Also, considering that the forum is low traffic with limited new threads, having too many forums make it difficult to browse.

8. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Nice to have many things fixed and others still being fixed, thanks.

I was actually able to post pictures!

But, for some reason, when I select "latest posts" and click on a post, when done reading I arrow back, intending to go back to the list and resume scrolling.

However, many times it takes me back to the home page, instead of the last page visited, which was the list of recent posts.

I am using a Chrome browser.

Thank you.

9. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I definitely agree that the organization scheme needs updated. There are a few too many forums and it's hard for new users to find what they are looking for. Hell it takes me time and I've been around the site for years.

I agree that the blue color scheme is a bit monotone and hard to separate out blocks when scrolling (desktop). The green one though is easier since it contrasts but seems a bit more cartoonish. People might not know there is an option to switch at the bottom of the page. (I personally use the blue one)

I'm not a graphic designer by trade but I use CS2 suite and some other imaging software and would welcome a contest.

On that topic...who are/is the plant guru team? There used to be a team but is there an active one today?

I miss a "Last Post" button on threads

That's all I got right now.

10. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    1:14 AM
    I believe we switched over to v5 for the spam reasons. I am moderator of spam and if we were to switch over to a better software maybe I would have a job to do!

11. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    I didn't see that there are actually three different forums dedicated to discussing plants. Consolidating these forums into one would be much easier to browse.

Aquatic Plant History + General Plant Topics + Aquatic Plant History

12. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Correction, there are actually FOUR different forums for plants, including "Are you new to Aquatic Plants?"

Once all of the redundant forums are consolidated, it will be much more compact and easier to navigate.

13. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    I'd love to move into xenforo or other Tapatalk compatible system. As we have already discussed via email, this forums software is cumbersome and somehow limited, mostly from its usability stand point. Since you updated the site I have been unable to use my favorite forum app (Tapatalk) and so my participation on the forum has decreased a big deal. I guess I am not the only one here.

2 people like this.
  14. Jason King

Local Time:
    Hi Fablau

If Tom is more than happy to move over to xenforo then im more than happy to go ahead with the transfer, xenforo is to me a very good system for sure and it seems most of the big forums are now also moving over to xenforo for the same reasons.

15. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Sounds great! Please, keep us posted.

16. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    An optimist side of the v5, the moderation is super easy, especially editing and such common sense stuff...

17. Jason King

Local Time:
    Xenforo is just as easy :)

18. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Xenforo moderation of spam is easier in the long run. Taptalk is a big issue, so I'll likely do the new Xenforo.

2 people like this.
  19. Jason King

Local Time:
    :D yay as you know tom I have lots of plans, ideas and can now put them into action.

My main reason for xenforo is bugs and compatability with third party stuff such as Tapatalk.

20. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    So glad Tom agrees using Xenforo!! Looking forward!!!

2 people like this.