This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Siphon Overflows Vs Standard And Wet-dry Vs Sump

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by LittleBrownDog, Sep 24, 2018.

1. LittleBrownDog

LittleBrownDog New Member

Local Time:
    1:02 PM
    Hello,

I have a few questions to you all that are running sumps on your planted aquaria. I have two basic concerns:
    1) CO2 management will be difficult due to off-gassing
    2) Placing the overflow box in a place that will look good across multiple aquascapes

From what I have read. My first concern is taken care of by sealing the sump. I know a lot of the tests were done with a wet/dry filter, but I assume the same can be applied to a regular DIY glass sump. Are there any points you would caution me on?

As far as number two, the only solution would be to run a siphon style overflow that hangs onto the tank. I have been big into cichlids (obsessed) and toyed with reef tanks. Both crowds had the general idea that hang on back style overflows were bad. Can somebody explain how this is overblown or make me feel better about them lol?

If I do decide to drill the tanks instead of doing a siphon style overflow. I decided on the eshopps external overflow with a two drain herbie system. The return will be via lily pipes connected to return pumps. These overflows look clean and are small. Any concerns here? Where would you place them? I am a huge fan of Triangle style and Island style nature aquariums.

I am still 50/50 on sticking with canister filters. I just really hate them. And now that I want to run multiple aquascapes, the idea of cleaning several canister filters is a real drag. Not to mention I will not have the benefit of a consistent waterline in the display. Finally, the cost is a big concern. I can provide more flow to the display tank with a sump system for cheaper than I can using canister filters only. I do not want powerheads in the display tanks.

Feel free to post your general thoughts and ideas. Especially if you went with a sump and regretted it. I'm not a go against the current type of person, so I am hesitant to not use canister filters since they are the most popular option.

Tags: