This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Simple CO2 question

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Bimmer, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Bimmer

Bimmer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:18 PM
    I'm not sure this whole DIY yeast thing is where I'm going to want to stay with my 72-gallon planted tank to be inhabited my Discus at a future point. I see an option to pick up (2) 20 ounce paintball tanks at a reasonable price. Will these be big enough to suit my needs? I am planning on constructing a Barr Venturi generator. I haven't even priced the regulator and accessories yet.

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Paintaball cylinders work, just be sure to get a regulator threaded for them. The regulators meant for a 5lb CO2 cylinder and a 20oz are not the same, and you have to special order the adapters.

The price besides the cylinders might be something like $100-$150 for entry level, depending on what kind of parts and prices you can get.

Two 20oz might make for refills every 2-3 months, just off the top of my head.

-Philosophos

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    For a 72 gallon tank 20 ounce tanks of CO2 will not last very long. Possibly a month, but not much more. In the long run it is much more economical and convenient to use bigger CO2 tanks, in fact the biggest tank you can find room for and handle when it comes time to refill the tank, is the best one.

4. mythin

mythin Junior Poster

Local Time:
    First post here, but I just wanted to say, I just decided to start a planted tank, and i bought a 10# (pound) co2 tank off ebay for 60 or so dollars including shipping from this seller: 10 Pound STEEL CO2 Cylinder Tank- Paintball Beer Tap - eBay (item 120443991179 end time Jul-06-09 12:31:21 PDT)

He has another one up it looks like. Its a used tank that they re-paint and sandblast, but who cares. Its hyrdostaticlly tested recently, and it cost me 12 bucks to get it filled locally. I ended buying a really expensive regulator since i saved a decent ammount of money on the tank (the aquariumplants.com non lcd one) since i heard good things about it, and i have a small hightech nano so i didnt need so many bps (it does 4.88 bps max).

Anyways, long story short, you can get "out the door" so to speak with at $60-70 dollar regulator and a $60 10# tank (you could probably even get a 20# for this price if you are lucky, the same vendor sells both sizes) and not only will it last a lot longer than a paintball set up, its a lot more compatible / convient to use.

5. Bimmer

Bimmer Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hmm...now that makes me ponder further as I can get these 20oz tanks for $45 for the both of them together. It seems like if I can get a 10# for at least that much I'd be saving a lot in the long run.

6. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Jump on the bigger tanks. There are far more regulators adapted for the 5-20lb's than there are for paintball regulators. Better ones at that.

-Philosophos