Silicone for aquariums?

Anti-Pjerrot

Prolific Poster
Apr 5, 2006
I want to make a tank with the same quality like ADA tanks, in regards to the seams (or lack of).

Generally the tanks you can get in Denmark is in a quality that sucks:

BullAkv603033.JPG

Big fat black silicone rubber seams - and the price is totally off what you get.

No tankmaker in Denmark have even thougt of making a rimless tank, due to tha fact that most tank usually have aluminium edges:

ST61605.JPG

Nice Hah???

I have made some smaller tanks - with good succes, but using regular clear aquarium silicone, that after some time gets white:

PICT0103.jpg

So - question is: What is the type/kind of silicone that I should use to make thouse great seams:

102-8526-2.jpg

A link to a shop in the UK og europe would be great - or a link to a shop that sells quality tanks in ADA quality (with prices less than £150 for 60x30x36, and delivers to Denmark)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've always just used 100% silicone, you can ask around for specifics, but I think 100% is what is generally used.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Anti-Pjerrot

Prolific Poster
Apr 5, 2006
Tom - do you make tanks like ADA's - without any rim?

I just (as of 1 hour ago) made a tank with the same dimentions like ADAs cube garden M.

What about UV-glue of some sort?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I know we used some black silicone for Van and auto roofs years ago.

I suppose they may have stronger glues out there, but the Silicone issue is one mainly with the surface being as clean as possible and good quality glass.

Good seals and no air bubbles, long cure times before filling, especially on larger tanks etc make a big difference.

I've made smaller tanks and repaired maybe 10 larger tanks 100 gallons and over, never had a leak after.

I'm not a glazier, you might inquire at a glass shop if they know anythign specifically that would be better.

I'm not so sure there's any need however, folks have long had similar tanks for many years and the problem I've seen tends to having the glass or Acrylic too thin, to reduce cost and weight.

ADA's glass is fairly thin , too thin for my taste at the 72" length.
They have a 15mm and a 12 mm glass(I have 19mm).
The 15mm is like 2000$ and is not the starfire glass.

I think some of these vendors add an air of mystery implying they have something special you cannot do yourself so you have to buy their product.

If folks could DIY, they often will and that cuts into sales.

Regards,
Tom Barr

garuf

Junior Poster
Jun 27, 2007
I don't know if this helps but give it a whirl,
Aqua Essentials
they do tanks in most sizes and will arrange delivery, If you can afford the extra cost I'd recommend getting the tank made in the next thickness up, 10mm instead of 6 and so on, this is not because the tanks are poor quality just that it will help durability and strength during shipping and in use.

Anti-Pjerrot

Prolific Poster
Apr 5, 2006
I have considered buying a tank there, since manufactures in Denmark take 4 x the price of a tank just for cutting the glass and polishing the edges (if to make a perfect rimless)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Then you could go acrylic, and be careful, use ADA As and make sure not to have snails etc or other things that can scratch acrylic.

After a few years, you can take the tank down and buff it to remove any also.
Either that, build it, or pay the $$$$$.

Regards,
Tom Barr

TYB

Junior Poster
Mar 18, 2009
Hey Anti-Pjerrot

I have made tanks the last 20 years and the best silicone, at least in Sweden/Denmark right now is Dana Lim's Akvariesilicone. The important is that it say ISO 11600 on the tub. The one I use is from DK. Dana Lim DK: Forside

TYB :eek:

deep blue

Junior Poster
Feb 7, 2008
Hi
I have build a lot of aquariums over this 15 jahres.In february I built 220cmx70x60cmm(H) from 10mm and I'm not satisfied becouse rims on
the top.Now I will make another one from 19mm without rims.Best silicone
I know in Europe is Perennator from Germany 10 euro for tube.SaudalAq from Belgium is not bead but not good as Perennator.All silicone to my knowing turn white
after draying.I never saw ADA aquariums and dont know for them.Tom how much 15mm glass can you purchase for 2000$?I pay in Srbija 150 euro(+ post works on edges) for 1m2 for 19mm glass.For my aquarium it is about 1000 euro for glass and silicone,maybe a bit less.For perfectly cuted glass you nead to cut glass on some CNC
machine.That cost also.