This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Sick Rainbows

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by charter, Apr 14, 2007.

1. charter

charter Guest

I am not sure where this thread should go so I decided here would be the best place. I have two dozen assorted Rainbows and two died with a grey slime coating, now two more have it they seem very active however their gill movement seems normal. I read that the PH fluctuation is the cause of this and that putting them in a quarantine with heat and salt will cure them. Can salt be added as a tonic to a planted tank in small amounts with out changing the chemistry or affecting the plants ?

2. Mooner

Mooner Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Hello Charter,

I've had good luck running a diatom for several hours per day and three days in a row. This has cured all rainbows in the quarantine tank when newly bought at the LFS. No adjustment in temp or PH is necessary.

I've used this method in fully planted tanks also with good results. I've never needed or used any meds. That alone paid for the diatom.

Be very careful with salt in your planted aquarium. It can be over done.

Good luck with your rainbows.
    They are a great fish for planted tanks

Chris