Shrimp snails and puppy dog tails

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well, maybe not the puppy dog tails:D
This is where to discuss the inverts, poor spineless critters that they are.

Regards,
Tom Barr

shreyasmrao

Junior Poster
Dec 31, 2008
Bangalore, India
What about Leeches?

Hi Tom,

I am new to this forum, so I am not sure that this is the right place to be discussing this. over the last three weeks, I have found leeches in my tank (dont know for sure where they came from). Finally after losing a Neon Tetra to it and almost one Guppy, I pulled the tank apart. Fishes are quarantined and have used Potash Alum in the tank (Had massive snail infestation also). But looks like Potash Alum was fake or of bad quality or whatever, there was no effect.

What do you suggest? If you need me to put this question up elsewhere, please let me know.

Happy new year to all members in advance.

Thanks

shreyasmrao

Junior Poster
Dec 31, 2008
Bangalore, India
What about Leeches?

Hi,

I also forgot to add that, I also found yellow eggs on one of the plants, which I think is of the Leech.

Is Gluteraldehyde a good option, please advice me.

Thanks again

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Gouramis,
They should take care of it
Cheap, easy to catch

Regards,
Tom Barr

crystalview

Guru Class Expert
Sep 6, 2008
between Sac and Reno
What color are your leeches? Mine are black. I have never seen eggs. I have seen their young and they are very very tiny. Mine don't attach to fish. They seem to be plant leeches.
Tom are you saying that Gourami's should eat them? I have not found chemicals to work. Is this the large Gourami's?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Normal sized gouramis.
Eg, lerri, dwarfs' etc, Flagfish should also, most worm eating fish that grub and pick should go for them.

I think this is better than chemical control.
Worm's are tough to kill that way.
Salt works, but kills the plants.
You can remove the plants, fish etc bomb with high salt etc.
But then you can use all sorts if you go to that extreme.

Regards,
Tom Barr

shreyasmrao

Junior Poster
Dec 31, 2008
Bangalore, India
Leeches

Hi Tom, A happy new year to you and all fellow aquarists.

thanks for your reply, some people have also suggested that I have a Betta in my tank for the leeches. I only have 50 Neon, Cardinal and Rummy Nose Tetras along with a few Delta Guppies and few Oto's. I lost one Neon and one Guppy to the Leech which was brown in colour.

When I first spotted the leech, it was green in colour and I think it turns brown only after it sucks blood. I found two green leeches after which were brown leeches. I was asked to look under the stones and found more leeches and decided to do something. I used Gluteraldehyde which killed all the leeches (atleast that were visible and other critters including snails and shrimps that I couldnt seperate into my quarantine tub). I have sterilized the plants also with Gluteraldehyde and checked almost all the leaves (that was a pain as I had a overgrown jungle). now my only worry was the substrate (I use ADA Amazonia II) whether the eggs will remain and hatch once I put everything back. But now that you have suggested Gouramis, I will replant and add some Gouramis. Hope they are compatible with the fish I have.

Thanks again and looking forward to your views again

JLR Plant Newb

Junior Poster
Jan 27, 2009
Longview, WA. USA
Snail keeping

I have recently purchased some olive nerite snails and was of the understanding that as long as I kept my calcium high enough they would be ok. but now I'm reading that if you don't keep you ph above 7.0 and a number of places say 7.4 their shells will erode. So to keep my co2 level at 30-35 I would have to have a Kh of around 12 degrees?
Is this accurate information? I don't trust much aquarium info I read anywhere else anymore.

Thanks,
Justin Reude

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I do not know as far as I can tell with the zebra nerites, the olives come from super soft acidic water.

I have pictures of them by the handful where I go every year.
They have a special coating to protect their shells, all FW shellfish do.

When they layer is damaged in transport, then you have issues, or the algae attaches etc and then falls off later.

No amount of pH or hard water is going to stop it then.............

Regards,
Tom Barr