This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Shrimp question

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by hani, Apr 5, 2010.

1. hani

hani Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:04 AM
    this question some what dumb, how to prevent red shrimp going through the filter, i keep finding A LOT of baby shrimp inside my eheim 2217, should i but a sponge over the strainer (that will clog in no time? any recommended strainer?
    THANKS

2. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    #2 shoggoth43, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  3. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  4. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I saw it too, but never wanted to try it. Looks cheap. Bad quality stainless steel will stain. The chrome painting could pollute water depending on metal contents... Sad, but not a reliable source. Also, the mesh could clog easily

Better go with a sponge or let the shrimps grow few months in filter then take the adults in the tank. I found it a good way to grow RCS in a community tank. They will live very happy in the filter

5. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thank you shoggoth. I just ordered one for my filter. My shrimp love being inside of my filter, but when the Angelfish spawn their eggs get sucked in there as well. Some day I might move them to a fry tank but this should help in the mean time. Thanks for the question hani. My only concern would be if these reduce the flow to the point of harming the filter motor. Regular cleanings should prevent that from happening I hope.

6. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think the new ones come with "reticulated foam" for the filter max ones. They should be able to flow quite a bit more than you need.

-
    S

7. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
  8. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm surprised you wouldn't be able to find something like that. Maybe one of the online retailers will ship there?

-
    S

9. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The Filter-Max Pre-Filter 411.

I have the Filter Max III. I have not attached it yet, it does come with attachments for most any size filter (1/2" or 5/8" sizes anyway) and looks impressive. A little too impressive. It takes up as much space as a soda can. It looks just like a black foam soda can. Otherwise, it would seam to be a great product.

10. shoggoth43

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You could try the fluval edge prefilters maybe. They're MUCH smaller but you'll be cleaning them often if you have any heavy amount of flow through them.

-
    S