This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Shrimp And Trace Elements

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by azappetti, May 31, 2018.

1. azappetti

azappetti New Member

Local Time:
    12:08 AM
    Hola:
    When adding trace elements, what is the maximum dose of Cu and Fe, to avoid the toxisity of shrimps?
    Gracias

2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    5:08 AM
    You're not gonna like this but ... depends.
    It depends on 3 things
    1. uptake (plant, microbial )
    2. precipitation (precipitated Cu will not be toxic anymore)
    3. organics and chelators (they often make metals less toxic)

So adding a single dose of 0.07 mg/L Cu once a week is not the same as adding 0.01mg/L Cu 7 times a week. I had one aquarium with breeding RCS where I was adding 0.01mg/L Cu daily and I did not notice any problems but the tank was high light with a very high plant density. It was overkill when you compare the Thrive+ weekly dose of 0.0126. But you can make an idea...

Regarding iron, I would not worry about it, you can offer the plants all they need (0.5-1mg/L Fe) and not be toxic towards most shrimps.

PS. All of the above is with 50% weekly water changes and routine cleaning of the substrate.

KeeperOfASilentWorld likes this.