This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Should I run an airstone?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rrkss, May 10, 2006.

1. rrkss

rrkss Prolific Poster

I use a venturi diffuser with DIY CO2. The powerhead is on the same timer as the lights but the CO2 injection can't be turned off like pressurized CO2. Its been 1 1/2 hours since lights and powerhead went off but the pH has not moved from the 6.4 range. Am I too impatient with degassing or is CO2 still dissolving into my water at a rather fast rate. The CO2 is coming out of the burp tube right now since the diffuser container has filled up with a nice pocket of gas. The only source of surface disturbance in my 29 gallon is my penguin biowheel 200 filter. Should I run an airstone after lights out to aid in degassing the water or will it naturally degas on its own at night without subjecting the fish to 24/7 high CO2 levels.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Should I run an airstone?

Ask yourself this, is the CO2 dissolving when the powerhead is off?
    The DIY CO2 will still go into the reactor, but it'll simply escape out the burp tube.

When the powerhead is on, the reactor will start dissolving CO2.
    You can also set a timer for the CO2 to come on 30 min prior to lights on and 1-2 hour or so before they go out.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. rrkss

rrkss Prolific Poster

I tested the pH this morning 30 minutes before lights on (and powerhead on) and the pH only moved up 0.1 so I have decided to put an airstone on a timer that will switch on for about 4 hours after lights out in order to degass the CO2. Many of you have done this without any fish harm so I might as well do it also. I just don't like the idea of high CO2 concentrations (30 ppm+) at night when the plants aren't using it.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

How can CO2 remain 30ppm all night long?

Think about that.
    Adding some more surface turbulance will take care of that, but what you are suggesting is that the CO2 level takes over 12 hours to degas and even then, that barely puts a dent in the CO2.

I doubt that's what is going on.
    Increase the surface turbulance some, don't worry about it.

Regards
    Tom Barr